icon

new sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

Just wondering if I'm missing something here.....

You said you wanted more sound quality right? Why such a gigantic box then?

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

You're insistent, I like that!  Go with NEITHER of the above.  Your box, as it is with 6 cubic feet, is great for two of those subs.  Mount them however you wish...if it were me, I would conceal them within the box.  The sag factor for these subs is not a problem, so they can fire upwards, downwards, or sidewards, however you want to place them.  I just wouldn't have them so noticeable even in a nice neighborhood.

Don't port the box for these subs.  They work best in a sealed box and 3 cu ft each is a great enclosure for them.  Give them close to their rated 300 watts RMS each and you will have a killer SQ setup.  Here's a screenshot pic of what the sound would look like:  

alpine_sws1242dx2.jpg  (expand the pic...wait for the icon to appear)

What you see here is a nice SQ response, meaning the sound will be natural.  The F3 hits at about 37Hz, which is good.  There is very little peak in the response...in fact I would call this no peak at all.  Read my tutorial on WinISD to get to the point where you can do this type of thing yourself.  I went to the Alpine site, pulled up the specs, and ran it through the WinISD program.  That's what you are looking at in that pic...the picture of the sound.  And the picture looks good.

Forget about porting, period.  You cannot improve on these subs in that manner as they are made to prefer a sealed enclosure.  The work you have to do at this point will be in (obviously) covering the box, and situating those subs where you like them.  They are fine to operate in the position they are in.  My biggest concern at this point is how you constructed the box...does it have bracing?  For a box of this size, the expanse of the walls is big, so bracing is necessary to eliminate flex.  If the box is one big open cavity, you should re-open it and install some 2X2 studs (or even use smaller 1X1 pieces) between the centers of the large sides.  This would brace the enclosure front-to-back and side-to-side.  You'll have a nice killer system that wont' be improved upon as long as you follow the steps in setting up the REST of the system.  Importance is placed on setting the amplifier gain properly.

Oh yes, I forgot.  DO NOT under any circumstances add another driver to this box.  You are set.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

3 cubic feet per sub? That seems like a lot... I thought that too much enclosure space can cause the bass to sound sloppy? Wouldn't 1.5 cu. ft. per sub do?

stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2006 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  

3 cubic feet is not that much space if you think about it, wildkartunes.  We are so accustomed to downsizing to fit a car when we deal with car audio.  "Sloppiness of bass response" is mostly a myth perpetuated to conceal the innacuracies of the actual build.  That's why everybody who is deeply interested in car audio should take some time to get to know a box modeling program.  You can see the results before you do the build.  I brought these subs back up to show what the smaller box, 3 cu ft net, would result in:

sws1242dinsmallerbox.jpg

You see an increase in the peak, and a Qtc that jumps from .808 to .935 (where .707 is the ultimate goal).  F3 now hits at 40Hz instead of 37Hz.  By using a smaller airspace with these subs, you would decrease their SQ value (lose some low end response and cause a disproportionate amount of power to go to the freqs in the 70 to 80 Hz range).

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
willdkartunes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

That's no relation to db, right?

stevdart 
Posted: March 25, 2006 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
The db relationship is to the center line, not actual SPL.  There's a SPL chart for that.
02 pimperado 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

ok so u flipped the speakers and they sound great already i just need some help figurin what some things mean how how to set up the amp

[img] https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/02pimperado/100_0298.jpg[/img]

Im OD'in on ADD
02 pimperado 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  

this here in  the red is where the box is not surrortive and it vibes alot cause the 1/[img]2 in wood

https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/02pimperado/RED.jpg[/img]

what does this mean? the degree and defeat?

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/02pimperado/100_0300.jpg[/img]

and last but noit least is the amp sek up right?

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/02pimperado/100_0309.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/02pimperado/100_0310.jpg[/img

Im OD'in on ADD
02 pimperado 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2006 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

sorry didnt work   http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c254/02pimperado/

Im OD'in on ADD
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.