icon

ground problem?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trexxx8739 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 4ohm speakers running parallel to a 2 ohm stable amp.   when I turn on my  car I hear a thump.  And when the volume is turned down I hear a hum sound.  I have messed with the gain many times. Its only turn up maybe a quarter of the way.  bass is deep at 5 on my stereo  and the more I turn it up my highs kick in but it seems like I lose bass.  And I mean I can feel that I lose it.  Its a new car and its factory stereo so i'm running high inputs.  also the subs stopped working last week so I figured a wire came off inside the box which was the problem but the wierd thing was that the ground from the box to the speaker is the one that came off.  it looked corroded and the plastic around the clip was black like it was burned.  I replaced it with larger speaker wire.  any suggestions?

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
Are they both 4ohm or 2ohm speakers?
Do you know what ohmage your subs are running?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  

I'd recommend checking all your connections.  Make sure there aren't any bare wires that can short together or ground out.  Also be sure the connections are solid.  The thump is a turn on pop that is common with cheaper amplifiers.  Higher end amplifiers will delay the output stage on turn-on to preven that noise from being produced.  Please list the brands and model numbers of all your equipment (subs, amp, and hi/low converter) as well as listing the size and type of enclosure you are using. 

trexxx8739 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  

audiobahn abp12t   4 ohm speakers  400 rms each

box is 14-1/2"H x 30-1/2"W x 15"D

audiobahn 8000t amp 2 ohm stable  800 watts rms

bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  
trexxx8739 wrote:

. bass is deep at 5 on my stereo  and the more I turn it up my highs kick in but it seems like I lose bass.  And I mean I can feel that I lose it.  Its a new car and its factory stereo so i'm running high inputs. 

You might want to turn off  the loudness on the radio. That will prevent the bass from fading away when you turn up the volume.

Also do you have the remote connected to the ignition?  That might explain the thump when you turn on the car.

trexxx8739 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 4:35 AM / IP Logged  
don't have a loudness button on the stereo.   and the remote is going to the same fuse for the stereo
bdl666 
Silver - Posts: 330
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged  

Exactly the amp is turning on when  you turn the key. That means that the amp is turning on before the radio and it should be the other way around.

As for the bass if your factory deck doesn't have a loudness button it might have some sort of built in eq to boost the bass when the volume is down. If that is not the case you might want to check your speakers to see if the tinsel lead is hitting the basket when you turn it up( It happened to my brother before). If it's hitting that might explain the burnt terminal and wire.

trexxx8739 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
another question.   I had 2 12in fosgates with a punch amp.   speakers were 200 rms each,  amp was 400 rms.  I'm running double that now and my lights dim but the bass is easily half of what the fosgate had at half the power i'm pushing now.  Is that due to Fosgate being a much better speaker or what?
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
what are the specs on what you are running now?
trexxx8739 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2006 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
running 2- 12in Audiobahns  400 rms each with an Audiobahn 8000t amp - 800 watts rms @ 2ohms
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic