icon

Interpreting WinISD results

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gsexer 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

Besides looking for a spike on the transfer function magnitude page, How would you interpret these results?

Qms 10.520,  Qts .460, Fs 22.01, Vas 3.310, DVC

I used a sealed enclosure with 2ft^3 of space.  How does that look?

I am so interested in all the technical aspects, but I still dont know what half of the stuff is that I am looking at!!

gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
I used the .707 alignment.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Those aren't results of the program, they're parameters (a partial list) of the sub.  Do you have a list of T/S parameters for your sub?  Are you using the WinISD guide stickied above for help getting started?
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2006 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
The guide mentioned and stickied in this forum is really helpful! There is a link to a site that has all the definitions for you.
gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 6:24 AM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention that those were the parametersof the speaker that I already ran.  I posteded the T/S so you guys could run it and look at the graph and give an opinion.  I did read the guide thread.  In the guide thread it said to use the minimum amount of info to get the program to work, thats why I did not post all of the T/S numbers.
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

Post all parameters you have and the units of measurement, or provide a link to them.  And the woofer is DVC what? 

How was this woofer measured, with the coils in series?  These things are important.

Let it be up to the user of a program to sort through what he wishes to input first.  I wouldn't be able to do a thing with the parameters etc you mentioned.  You'll get better and quicker help by providing more info.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

Man, I am sucking just a bit these days.   Here is the link, I was running the numbers for the 12dVQ with the mid insert in.

http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Owner%27s%20Manual/Perfect%20VQ%20OM%20FINAL%20(Revised%2012-2-02).pdf

I was wiring the sub on the program in parallel, sealed enclosure, .707 alignment, 2ft^3 of space in the enclosure.  Standard units of measure.

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
Link dosen't work.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
gsexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

try this one, it is the product page, and the link is on the page.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT12DVQ'&Ser=KPE&Cat=SUB

stevdart 
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a driver that exemplifies what DYohn was talking about in the article Loudspeaker Sensitivity vs Efficiency.  I used the calculator that I linked to in that article and found that although this 12DVQ is rated at a 92 db sensitivity according to the manual....the actual efficiency is much lower, and more in line with other subs.  Low insert:  87 db.  Mid insert:  85 db.  No insert:  83.75 db. 

Not quite 92 db, huh?  Interpreting WinISD results -- posted image.

gsezer, that manual gives a ton of good information on enclosure sizes and gives you ways to use the driver for multiple purposes.  If you look at the recommended enclosure sizes, you'll see that by the time you get as big as 1.25 cu ft (sealed), that no insert is used for best Q with the F3 point at 35 Hz.  With an EBP of 34, used with no insert, there is no question that this sub gets a sealed box.  I would build it just like that since you apparently have plenty of space for it, and not even look for reasons to work it up in a modeling program.

Use WinISD to work up the majority of subs on the market who give you less good information.  Or practice using it with the enclosure sizes given for the different Q inserts and get to know the program better that way.  You'll see that you have to change Qes (and therefore, Qts, so leave Qts blank for autocalculation) for each insert and without the insert.  You see they show the differences in Qes as .64, .46 and .31.  Bring up your database editor and change it in that for each insert Q, then save, then bring up "new project" so that it includes your data change.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic