icon

Fiberglass Piller Pod?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
x2jesse1x 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  

I am making a Triple Gauge piller pod for my 00+ impala.(They currently do not make one for my year yet). So im basically looking for advice to see if im doing this right, This is by far not my first fiberglass project. I have herd many things about fiberglass and plastic not sticking and I want to make this a one time deal. This is essentially what I did.

1st: I took the stock piller out of the car and sanded it all down with a low grit sand paper.( To rough it up)

2nd: I took the donor piller pod that  I had left over from my last car(cavalier), Measured it up and marked where I wanted it to go. I cut the pod to size. and screwed it onto the piller so it didnt move around.

3rd: I used some body filler around the edges to make it smooth and make it look like it was supposed to be there. I sanded the crap out of the body filler so it was even with the pod.

4th: I layed some Fiberglass Cloth all around the edges of the piller pod. The fiberglass cloth is layed really smooth. No air bubbles. I just dont want it to come off of the piller. I want a good adhesion.

Now I didnt sand the fiberglass yet, I also didnt rap the fiberglass around the piece onto the otherside. Im not sure if I should have. Here is some pics. any help would be great.

Fiberglass Piller Pod? -- posted image.

sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
ok, if that is just one layer of cloth, then it looks like a huge pool of resin.... maybe it is just the lighting.  Scuffing up the plastic should help, but if you could have wrapped it around the edges a little, that would have been better.  Pretty much as soon as the plastic bends all the fiberglass is going to pop off because fiberglass is stiff and the plastic isnt and they dont adhere well to begin with.  So if you can slap it back up there without bending it and then never bend it.... you'll be ok
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
mikek3 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
ok
mikek3 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
OK here we go. You started off on the right path but then well. Anyway. leave what you have and clean up those loose edges.Then cut up some mat ( 1oz. or woven mat ) in 1" to 2" strips. Differ the lenghts .Spray some PAM cooking oil on the gauge pods ( dont let the PAM get on the fiberglass you laid already ). Now lay down 2 layers of mat over the pods laping the new glass with the old 1"-2"  let cure and pop the fiber glass from the pillar (THATS WHAT YOU WANT ). K, now add 2-3 more layers of 1"-2" mat strips to the inside of the fiberglass pillar. Add the mount with fiberglass or epoxy. let all cure. Then smooth up the hole the iwth kitty hair and bodyfiller smooth to 400grit -600grit for vinyl wrap. IF PAINTING it get the primer very smooth 1500grit- 2000grit. add color and wet sand. Add clear and wet sand. AND BINGO YOU GOT ONE TRICKED PILLAR. 
x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Ok thanks guys. Them pics were actually bad. I only put 2 layers of fiberglass on the piller. There is no resin puddles on the piller at all. Also Im not sure if MIKEK3 was thinking I made a mold of the pods? They were originally an actual piller pod cut to fit my application. So I dont really want to put any fiberglass on the pods themself, I only wanted to mold the pods/piller together? Im going to attempt to wrap some fiberglass around the edges of the piller.
x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Any help would be great!
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

First, heres a bit of useless information.  I used to have that same design of bedspread...um, nevermind.

Heres how Ive been fabricating my components.  http://glassmanscustomforum.com/v-web/gallery/album1996?page=1  I dont start the same way this individual did in this case, but the concept is top notch.  I start by covering the complete pillar, therefore creating a replacement pillar completely fabricated of FG mat, note his first picture is only a part of a pillar.  Separate the pillar and your FG pillar, cut off the excess, deburr the edges, and TEST-FIT the component.  You can place your prefab pods anyway you like as this guy and I do with our PVC (pics 2-6).  I only cover what I need with the thin stretchy polyester cloths, attaching it with 2 part glues covering the pods as the pics show.  Also glue the faces of the PVC on the gauge side.  Saturate with resin, let cure.  Scuff all FG surfaces with rough grit (from 36 to 80 grit) sandpaper.  Use body filler in areas that require build up/contour.  Use a filler grater to remove excess and shape the areas as needed.  Scuff / smooth the area with 100-300 grit.  Use glaze putty (Rage Gold/ or whatever) to fill the small imperfections and such.  Prep-prime-prep again-paint/vinyl/carpet/upholster the new pillar .  Install gauges, wire them, and install.

mikek3 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  

Thats what I was gettin at. BUT, you explained it much better. there is no reason to keep the FG attached to the factory piiiar.

x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah well I want it to clip in like stock so I want to use to stock piller and the gauge pod that I have made. I just need to attach them together. I dont want it to look custom. I am a little confused because both of you want me to make a mold and i just want to mold it together.

x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
If im reading this wrong then please tell me..lol
I want to MOLD them together NOT make a mold
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic