icon

Fiberglass Piller Pod?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
No, its all cool, you read me right.  Either way, it wont be too hard to complete what youve already started.  You may have to deal with a few issues later in its life being  that the FG/plastic combination could separate, thats all.  One thing that you probably should do.... lets back-track a few steps in the past.  When you applied the pods to the factory pillar, drilling a good number of small holes around the area would have helped give the FG mat/resin something to adhere to.  I have noted that using a small (? 1/32 ?) drill bit and drill a multitude of holes all over the part, or at least the area FG will be applied.  When the resin flows through these holes it serves as an anchor.  Um, I just winged that bit of information, but I hoped it help shed a little more light in the direction you have already taken that way you havent wasted any time with what you already have.  Good luck in which ever way to take, keep us posted and keep the questions rollin if needed.
x2jesse1x 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
ok man thanks
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I drilled a whole lot of 1/32 holes in one of my door pod projects and the resin just snapped off at the holes, so I wouldn't even say that would work too good.  Someone once said put a bunch of screws in the door and then the fg will hold on to the screws, that sounds like a pretty good idea.
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

Sure, whatever works.  Im glad you brought the size of 1/32 up.  I was looking at  my drill bin and saw the 1/32 bit and realized I should have recommended a larger size!  Depending on the location and the nature of the finished product, I dont like to deal with the bumps that the screw heads create.  This method alleviates that issue, using larger holes.  

.....im recalling....the story I wrote earlier regarding building a mock up/replica of the factory panel...which avoids this whole problem.....

x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

I kno torquehead tried to tell me to just make a replacment piller instead of doing it the way im doing, But I really want the factory feel and I want it to be able to clip into place like stock so Im Hell bent on doing it my wayFiberglass Piller Pod? - Page 2 -- posted image..

Currently I have it fiberglassed but its not wrapped around the edges so im going to wrap the piece in polyester cloth and fiberglass it again.

torquehead 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

Its cool, and still a good idea, youll have the factory mounting method as well....it should remain a perfect fit.  Beforehand, I didnt know it was your personal requirement to use the factory peice.  Your project is all about you, its supposed to be your way, youll appreciate it more. 

I know plenty people dont think my was is easier, and its often that its not easier, I sometimes like it that way!  This also ensures that I get the hard-to-do jobs that even the local fabrication shops dont want to touch.  Its just the extent of my projects being intricate keeps my portfolio revolving.  So...im just trying to help.

Oh, careful when wrapping the plastic panel in fleece tightly.  Sometimes the fleece pulls the part out of its intended alignment.  When its cured in that warped shape, it could crack when its flexed back into original shape during mounting....or a bit after. 

Got more pix yet?

x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Torquehead I appriciate all of your help. I am currently sanding down the fiberglass that I layed the first time around and I am going to wrap the piece prob. tomorrow at the latest. Ill get pics when it is wrapped and ready from the final layer of glass. Hope it works. thanks again
sprawl85 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
I think you'll be ok, it's not like there is a whole bunch of movement in the pillars or anything, I am looking forward to sanded pictures!
fiberglass reminds me of peanut brittle... but fiberglass tastes better!
x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

Well Hear is a little Preview of how it started up till today...

I was originally going to make the pods out of Fiberglass then i decided differently

Fiberglass Piller Pod? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Old cavalier Piller pod

I had to cut the cavalier piller pod and heat it with a heat gun and shape the pods to the impala piller. Filled the edges with body filler then fiberglassed over it

Sanded the crap out of it, But as you all know I forgot to wrap the edges

Im going to be finish sanding tomorrow then wrapping the whole thing in some stretchy poly clothe . Ill post pics tomorrow of it wrapped 

x2jesse1x 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2006 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah I just wanted to tell you guys that I am unsure about finishing this project. Im thinking about selling the car now
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic