perfect sub box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
countdrcaula76 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  

hi

i have a kicker cvr sub in my suv , i have the kicker 12" cvr sub in  1.25 cu. ft , but im not hapy with its performance , i want a ported box so can u pls help me . the dimensions thatare available for the sub box place are here 
top width 4
bottom width 10
heigth 16
length 37

thi is a wedge box taht will fit right behind my rear seat . all the above are internal diameters.will the box work fine ? and i cant place a square port in the box so can u give me the dimensions of the round port

pls help me in building the perfect bo for the best performance

- saif ullah khan
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

You cannot make a "perfect" box by changing your current sealed into a ported.  The CVR has an EBP of 41, so it should use a sealed enclosure, not ported.  If you tried to vent a woofer that falls so squarely into sealed category such as this does, you'll find that the port length will reach very long dimensions, and wouldn't fit into your present box without displacing a great amount of the available air space.  Even in a box twice the size of what you have, the output with ported would be very peaky and would diminish SQ in favor of more of a bandpass-type sound.

Find other methods of making this sub sound better.  You can use a sealed box as large as 130 liters for best SQ - deepest bass.  http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/2005/2005%20CompVR%20Sub%20Manual.pdf

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
countdrcaula76 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

hi . ok but i dont know if i can fit a 4.59 cu ft box in the space i have . so wat should i do .and one more thing ok  my current audio set up is as follows

boston fs-60 components (front)

mtx 6933 (6x9 rear) in a wedge box
 blaupunkt gta-470 (70x4 for the front and rear)
 mtx 421d (400x1)
 kicker 12 in cvr sub (05cvr12)

now do i need and 8" speaker for the mid range ? i feel that the bass deliverd by the kicker 12" that i have is not accurate . and some times sounds really bad. is an 8" better or a 10"

- saif ullah khan
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2006 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
You could put that sub in a 2.5 ft^3 box (<- volume after displacement of the sub and port) tuned very low to about 26hz (a 4" port 17" long). That'll give you a lot more low end and it'll be a little louer.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
I'm gonna have to say keep this sub sealed up. Basically what Stev was saying, this sub's specs basically say it should be in a sealed box. If you want to make the sub "louder" you can make it to it's largest sealed box recomendation (won't be a big difference IMO unless you go out of the range and out of range means less sound). The L5 Kicker solobarics are ment for ported, they sound awsome there but keep those compvr's sealed up, better SQ also.
countdrcaula76 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  

hi

thanx a lot for all the help

acually today i just ported the sealed box of 1.25 cu ft to see if it makes any difference . well i put a 4 inch tube whch is 16 inch long and i did get better bass , but the bass was a lot muddier  . i want clean loud bass . and its kind of confusing that 2 ppl say keep it sealed and one person saying go ported  . i want good accurate loud bass of this sub woofer .so can anyone tell me wat box do i  get and wat size . thank u so much.

- saif ullah khan
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
Differences of opinion, that's all.  If you're beginning, I'd recommend sealed as well.  Design is not as tough.  I saw you added a port the size that was recommended above, but did not rebuild the enclosure.  That's like playing Russian roulette.  If you want to try a ported box, spend some time doing research- you can find many enclosure design programs online (many for free).  You could probably come up with several links by using the search function on this forum which is located in the upper right side of this screen.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

You really should stick with a sealed enclosure.  Getting a bigger sealed enclosure would make it sound better, but I agree that it will not make an overwhelming difference.

It kinda sounds like your trying to get the performance of a Ferrari from a Honda, which is just not gonna happen...  If your that unhappy with your bass then you might wanna consider another speaker.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
If you tried to vent a woofer that falls so squarely into sealed category such as this does, you'll find that the port length will reach very long dimensions, and wouldn't fit into your present box without displacing a great amount of the available air space.  Even in a box twice the size of what you have, the output with ported would be very peaky and would diminish SQ in favor of more of a bandpass-type sound.

countdrcaula wrote:
acually today i just ported the sealed box of 1.25 cu ft to see if it makes any difference . well i put a 4 inch tube whch is 16 inch long and i did get better bass , but the bass was a lot muddier  .

.....sometimes I wonder why I spend my time....perfect sub box -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2006 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

.....sometimes I wonder why I spend my time....perfect sub box -- posted image.

Don't feel bad. You told him the correct information and you can't help it that he didn't feel like listening to you. I was gonna ask why he even bothered asking for help if he wasn't going to take our advise.....

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic