icon

99 Wrangler Head unit options

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jkirkku 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
So I've been searching and cannot make up my mind. I have a 99 jeep wrangler. I'm planning on upgrading speakers and a decent in seat subwoofer setup. My problem is the source for these speakers. The top and doors will be off in summer and I dont want to constantly worry about theft. For this reason I am extremely warry of an aftermarket deck. My thought was to start off with a stock cd player from another chrysler group car, preferably one with cd changer controls or sirius conrols(makes ipod connector easier and cheaper). I know output would suck but here is my question. I can buy a "decent" head unit with ipod input for around 300. My thought was to pick up that stock radio, get either two LOCs or one LOC with dual high and low outputs and then amp the subs and speakers. I figure a speaker amp, a stock radio, an ipod connector, and LOC would be about the same as my $300 decent headunit.
Would this stock looking setup sound as good as a decent headunit? Decent to me is a HU between 2-$300. A mid line Alpine or Kenwood.
Yuri 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

First of all... It's a Wrangler...  Nothing is going to sound GREAT with no top/no doors.  What I mean is, you're not going to notice the difference between expensive equipment and cheap equipment because your Jeep is a very noisy vehicle to start with (I know MINE is!).   An aftermarket head unit in a Wrangler is a theif-magnet.  Stay stock. 

Here's what I did with my 2001 Wrangler:

• Stock head unit (because nobody is going to steal it)
  • Sirius, RF modulated (because if someone steals it, they can't use it after I shut off the subscription by reporting it stolen.  They can't even re-activate it, so it's not something a theif would steal)
  • one 10" cheap sub in homemade box inside rear seat (Sub is hidden, and if I happen to fill the tub with water, I'm not out the cost of an expensive sub... the seat is still usable to sit on too)
  • cheap amp mounted to underside of rear seat (using hi-level inputs; also see: "water" above)
  • Walmart special replacement speakers (Pioneer 4x6 in dash and Pioneer 6.5s in soundbar...on sale)

The sub made a HUGE difference, even though the box isn't quite large enough capacity.  But it's still like night and day!    Mind you... My Jeep is lifted with 33" mud tires, and I normally drive around topless/doorless.  It sounds 'almost great' when parked, and 'pretty good' cruising around town.   I can still hear 'something' on the highway (although I wish it was a little louder).  But topless and doorless on the highway, you almost need earplugs even without a stereo.99 Wrangler Head unit options -- posted image.

Future plans:  I pulled an Infinity Gold amp from a ZJ, and plan to incorporate it into my stock head unit to get a little more sound from the 4x6s and 6.5s.  Why this amp?  Because WHEN it gets fried from sitting in water, it's simple and cheap to get another one at the junkyard.  It also runs off hi-level inputs, which makes it easier to wire-up.  I really just need a 'little bit' more volume for the highway and I'll be happy. 

The major disadvantage of my system is that my factory CD player is shot and doesn't play discs anymore.  Plus, there is no easy way to add Ipod inputs to this factory stereo (unless I RF modulate it).  But since I got the Sirius a couple years ago, it's not a big deal.  I really like the fact that I'm not leaving a couple hundred bucks worth of CDs in my Jeep anymore, and that extra storage space is nice.   Knowing me... even if I had Ipod capabilities, I wouldn't want to keep it in the Jeep for fear of it getting broken or stolen (or covered in mud).99 Wrangler Head unit options -- posted image. 

Yuri 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  

Also, a suggestion for if you're going to go stock...  Don't go with the factory CD player...  Alot of people have had trouble with them, and they have a tendency to not play burned CDs very well.  The stock CD/tape decks from many Chrysler vehicles (aka: Caravans) work well in earlier TJ's like we have (97-2002).   These play burned CDs, and don't break as much.  Plus, a cassette adapter can give you a decent Ipod/Sirius interface (although not very pretty). 

They changed the stock CD player in 2003, but the connectors aren't the same...  If you can find an adapter, the 2003+ TJ's' have changer control inputs that can be adapted for an Ipod. 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

Solution, keep existing head and add the Audio Control 4.1 and put somewhere out of sight. Rewire the aux input button and the sub level control pot and mount somewhere on dash.  It has a Aux input for the Sirius unit or a Ipod. It will act as either the master volume control or slave volume control. It gives you the flexibility you need for full expansion down the road.

http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14150&d_Id=5250&l1=5250&l2=#

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jkirkku 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2006 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
Finally a group of people who support stock!
Thankyou guys for the input... that controller looks like a good solution, it would mount in my glove box well, and already has ability for ipod. I didnt see a price, but I will definately consider. As far as head unit, my dad's company uses grand caravans or town and countrys(oldest is 2003). The stock units play most of my burned cds and have had no problems. Ill have to make an adapter, which I do not believe will be too hard(ill pull the plug with the stereo from a salvage). I do want an in seat box like SirGcal off of jeepforums. I have two people locally that are supposed to be getting me quotes on building that box for two 10's. Apparently the plans confuse them though? I dont have the tools or skill to build something so accurate. With a mounting depth of 5" and a little under 1 ft space I've been looking at Rockford Punch 1 10's. 4.5" depth and about .65 volume. They are on sale 2 for $100 on crutchfield. To power those I'm thinking a Rockford 300.1. For subs and amp should be just under $300 with shipping from crutchfield. I already have an older punch 120aII amp that i will use to power all the speakers in the beginning and then a second amp to power the sound bar alone eventually. Speakers will be three way 5.25 in dash and component in sound bar. This wont happen overnight as I'm a college student, but I'm hoping to have it dont before summer. I know the Jeep is a hard environment for sound but I think this setup would be stealthy, hard to steal, reasonable in price, and sound pretty good for a jeep to.
Thanks for the advice guys, and sorry for the long post.
I'm open to criticism of this setup though as well.
Jared
jkirkku 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Bringing this back from the dead, but I dont think the audiocontrol four.1 is right for me. It does not have high level inputs and is $300. The cost is what I was expecting but I would still have to get LOC's. What does the four.1 offer that two good locs and an ipod interface wouldnt?
jkirkku 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 19, 2006 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
An example would be a David Navone N-7785V. Then an ipod adapter Here
Or maybe this soundgate adapter
Thats all about $200 w. shipping. The four.1 is $300 and I would still need to get signal to it.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
Let me confirm this in the morning, my thinking is that the 4.1 will also act as a advanced LOC by simply soldering RCA ends onto the speaker wires or factory preamp lines. I know that this is how both the LC6, LC8 and 6XS work, I do not see how this should be any different.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  
Just  get your self a surpluss ammo can bolt it the the floor between your seat then you can have a decent stereo then lock it should work fine unless you play in deep water. I have a 95 YJ and that is how  I am goning to mount a CB for my HU I just use a POS JVC de-face unit not a big deal if it get's taken along with a swap meet amp. After all it's a Jeep SQ is not important heck with all the road noise from my 33" mud tires I am happy if  I can hear it with the top off, with any decent sound.99 Wrangler Head unit options -- posted image.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2006 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  
Alternate spot for a 10" sub. Center console, its a bit of work but sounds killer and unseen. You can also get a dual down firing enclosure from audio enhancers, I believe retails for 150 ish +/- a few.  As far as a head unit Any head unit is easy to steal from a jeep, factory is a little less desireable. With out the faceplate aftermarket is also undesireable. You just have to install a lock box somewhere to lock it up. I put a concept cca-664 5 channel in a wrangler amped dash speakers concept CF2 4x6's and Cf2 6.5" in sound bar plus to 2 hz 104 10" subs in a downfiring box Headunit was aftermarket with 3 pre-outs. This jeep sounds pretty damn good even with top off. But as previusoly stated on the highway volume is the name of the game with jeeps, its has enough volume to sound loud over the baja claws......... Food for thought.....The owner bought a steel waterproof locking box for the face plate and other valuables, bolted it down..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic