icon

Alarm connection to 5-wire door locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joneb 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  

I bought an 'old' Chemera Viam power door lock kit.  And I installed it with no problems in a 1965 VW bug.  I just installed an Xpress DX 350 alarm on the car and everything works except the door locks.  I can't figure out the connection.  The door locks do not use a relay (that I know of), there is a fused 12V+ red wire, a negative wire, the actuator motors have a blue wire and a white wire, the harness has a green, yellow, white, blue, and a red wire that connect the passenger and driver door switches.  The kit was set up for either 2 or 4 doors so I clipped the blue and white wires for the rear actuators.  The alarm instructions say the following:

• light green wire:  "connect to (-) Lock & (+) Unlock" and
  • light blue wire: "connect  to (-) Unlock & (+) Lock"

Which wires do I connect the alarm lock/unlock to?  Should I add a relay?

I can scan the alarm wiring diagram and send pictures of the back of the switch if it helps. The door lock kit does not come with a wiring diagram since it was so simple to connect a neg. and pos.

JonEB
If it ain't fixed; don't broke it....
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  

It sounds like your system is setup to lock or unlock all the doors when you toggle the state of the drivers door.

If this is the case, all you have to do is worry about unlocking the drivers door, and it will do the rest.  You will most likely need two relays, set up in a 5 wire configuration with 87A grounded on both relays.  You can test this by tieing one of the suspected acuator leads to ground and the other tap it to 12vdc.  Of course, it would be best to have the wiring information for the actuators, NOT the alarm, as the alarm outputs sound like the standard lock/unlock outputs.

Kevin Pierson
joneb 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
So I should run leads from the alarm lock/unlock directly to the drivers side near the switch and not in the middle of the harness?  The drivers side does operate all locks.  I will try the two relay setup for a 5 wire system and see if that works.  Can I send you some pics of the back of the switch and see if that helps you to help me?  I need a diagram.
JonEB
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Post them up here!
Kevin Pierson
joneb 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
Alarm connection to 5-wire door locks -- posted image.Alarm connection to 5-wire door locks -- posted image.
JonEB
joneb 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 4:43 AM / IP Logged  

The car is a 1965 VW Bug, my alarm is a Xpress DX350 and the door locks are an older aftermarket model (no relay). I can't figure out a connection method of the two systems.

Here's what I Have: Door locks:   Drivers' switch has a Blue wire (motor leg to both door motors) rests at neg., +12 volts at unlock and +1.82 volts at lock. White wire (motor leg to both door motors) rests at neg., +12 volts at lock and +1.26 volts at unlock. Green wire (connects to passenger switch) rests at neg., .5-volts at lock and 1.45-volts at unlock. Yellow wire (connects to passenger switch) rests at neg., 1.35-volts at lock and .5-volts at unlock .Red wire - fused 12 volt positive lead. (Passenger switch has the black negative lead, green wire and yellow wire)

Alarm outputs: Green wire (Unlock) rests at ground, pulses +12 volts during unlock, Blue wire (Lock) rests at ground, pulses at +12 volts during lock.

I tried the "5-wire alternating 12 volts positive door locks" relay setup but the 87 posts reads negative when the Switch motor legs are connected to 87a.  Am I connecting it wrong or is this the wrong setup to use?

JonEB
steve schofield 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  
If the motors in the door both have only two wires then the switches are simply reversing the polarity of the motor. Having no relay in the circuit means the motors will operate only while the switch is pressed and the motor will stay energized until released.If your wiring diagram shows (Motor Interrupt) use this connection to both motors and wire them the same. Be careful to connect each motor exactly as the wiring diagram shows, or one door may lock while the other unlocks! It would also be possible to wire for motor interrupt using 2 x 5 pin relays and operate with a pos or neg pulse for lock and unlock.However, you can also remove the switches from the circuit and wire for (Direct Motor Control) too, if this is an option.
steve schofield 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
May make more sence! Look in General Info on home page, go to Diagrams then Door locks & Window Modules. The diagram you require is: 5 wire alternating 12volts positive door locks! This works when the door motor wires rest at neg.
joneb 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

I tried the 5-wire positive door lock diagram but the 87 posts on the relays read negative when I connect the wires from the switch (which connected the switch to the motor) to 87a on the relay.

Joneb

JonEB
dxdenis02 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
excellent
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic