is this enclosure possible?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ashokn225 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys
Im new to this so this would be a huge undertaking for me especially, let alone someone who has expertise in fiberglass enclosures. But i wanna try so screw it haha.
I wanna make an enclosure using a car sub and amp but for home theater use. Its been done before so thats not the issue. But I wanna try making it look like this!!!:
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/product.asp?section=systems&sub=ls&prodid=282
possible or not? I mean, i dont think i could get it to look exactly like that, but something close would be awesome!!
any suggestions, feedback?
thanks
ashok
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2006 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
that link doesn't point to anything useful try just posting the pic of what it is.
As for a car sub in a home theater application it's not a problem at all
I'm currently running an infinty beta 12 with a 250 watt plate amp from parts express. That is just in an mdf box with casters on it. Just make sure your components will match up alright, power, impediance, etc.
So your question is basically can you make it look like what ever that link shows.
slimmatic 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
I think this is the link he wanted.
http://www.bang-olufsen.com/web2/systems/product.asp?section=systems&sub=ls&prodid=282
And anything is possible with time/money/know how.
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
You posted the same link he did. it's alright though maybe it's something on my end that is making the picture not display.
ashokn225 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
sorry guys for the broken link
i cant seem to upload a good picture of the bang and olufsen sub but heres something similar to the idea I have
is this enclosure possible? -- posted image.
and yes, i plan on piano black as well, so thats probably exaclty how i would want it to look. and i planned on running a dayton reference high fidelity 12" with a crown XLS-202.
any suggestions on how i could start this? I was thinking maybe getting a really big styrofoam ball or something and coating that to get an initial shape?
what do you guys think?
xclusivecustoms 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
I like the B&W much more than the the B&O. If you want to make it off a styrofoam ball, you have to decide if you're going to use a sacrificial mold or if you're going to cast a seperate mold to get this shape.
xclusivecustomsinc.com
ashokn225 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
xclusivecustoms wrote:
I like the B&W much more than the the B&O. If you want to make it off a styrofoam ball, you have to decide if you're going to use a sacrificial mold or if you're going to cast a seperate mold to get this shape.
Yes I do too. Im definitely going to try and mimic the wilkins. And im not sure what you mean by sacrifical mold or separate mold? I figured I could just cast a mold of the ball and then go through the steps of building the enclosure.
But now as i think about ur choice of wording---"sacrificial", i wondered if it would be possible to even just coat the sytrofoam ball itself and carve out a hole for the driver, which could serve as massive insulation! ( or was that what you meant in the first place lol?)
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2006 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
Gee, I remember seeing bubbles being used as skylight, some were acrlyc some fiberglass.  I'm sure if you spent sometime looking for something premoulded, it would be simpler than starting form scratch.  You can alway build box inside or reinforce as needed.
ashokn225 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
wow thats such a good idea, didnt even think of that
i need to just start looking around for ordinary things that could be used for this job. a see through fiberglass ball would be extremely cool too ( even though the piano black is my favorite)
what do you guys think of the driver and amp im thinking about using? And just generally what do you guys think of the project?
xclusivecustoms 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
A sacrificial mold is commonly used to make one-off gas tanks. You make your plug out of styrofoam, cover it with a barrier material and then fiberglass on top of that. After the fiberglass has hardened you pour a solvent (such as gasoline) inside of the ball which disolves the styrofoam. This technique is very effective for complex single production products, but is not very enviromentally friendly.
xclusivecustomsinc.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic