the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

W7 advice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hey,
I have someone willing to buy my W7 12" for 400 dollars, im looking to keep a system that is fairly balanced between SPL and SQ.
i have the trunk space for an adequate box with 2 12"s but would prefer to stay with 1 single 12" any suggestions on what to do?
any subs i should look @ That will rival the W7 in performance?
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like you are looking to replace the W7 with a W7. Why not just keep it?
saturnsubohio 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2006 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i suppose i am, but im always looking to change my system for the better or better sound for less money,
I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on some 12"s to check out that may strike my ear....
I was thinking along the lines of
Eclipse 12" Titanium
RE XXX
Adire Brahma
IDMax 12"
but i cant find a decent price on them... LMK
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

Check out the Soundsplinter Rl-p's.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like you could use a MTX 8500 or 9500. You can use this link  http://www.mtx.com/Flash2/volume_displacement.cfm to compare mtx subs to other competition thats on the market. happy hunting. Honestly though since you already have the W7, id hang on to that. Its a great sub and really is hard to beat. If you arent happy with the way it sounds, build a different box. That can make a world of difference.
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  
Man you would not believe the subs I heard today, didnt really get a chance to look into them further until probably Saturday to investigate more.  Not a big brand thus far, but are called Titanium Power, have you heard of them?  Man it was 2 12" subs in a slot ported box WOW wasnt in a car as it was a display, but I swear those darn things shook every single thing in that room!!!!  LoL, they sell for $145 each, if you are interested in more info, just let me kno on a PM as I am heading back over there Saturday to fill in the blanks.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  

killer sonata wrote:
Sounds to me like you could use a MTX 8500 or 9500. You can use this link  http://www.mtx.com/Flash2/volume_displacement.cfm to compare mtx subs to other competition thats on the market. happy hunting. Honestly though since you already have the W7, id hang on to that. Its a great sub and really is hard to beat. If you arent happy with the way it sounds, build a different box. That can make a world of difference.

Keep in mind that the link above is pure marketing designed to make MTX's subs look good.  Also keep in mind that there is more to a subwoofer than output, just like there is more to a car than it's peak horsepower.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 4:17 AM / IP Logged  

MTX isnt always the winner. Sure im a MTX fan, but I do like alpine, eclipse and JL a lot too. You are right though. There is always more factors to buying a sub than just its output. It all depends on the situation and vehicle its going in.

saturnsubohio 
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

killer sonata wrote:
Sounds to me like you could use a MTX 8500 or 9500. You can use this link http://www.mtx.com/Flash2/volume_displacement.cfm to compare mtx subs to other competition thats on the market. happy hunting. Honestly though since you already have the W7, id hang on to that. Its a great sub and really is hard to beat. If you arent happy with the way it sounds, build a different box. That can make a world of difference.

Keep in mind that the link above is pure marketing designed to make MTX's subs look good. Also keep in mind that there is more to a subwoofer than output, just like there is more to a car than it's peak horsepower.

i had to fight with a lot of my good friends when MTX Released that propoganda. anyway Steven The other "semi" pertinent info is this.
sub will get ~800 Watts RMS (unsure of amp but wanna stick in this range) box will be vented and sized to match the sub as best that i can... now as someone will point out, the SQ of a vented box is not as good (generalization). Yeah im aware of that but i need to have the boom still just because 1 12" that can outdo or keep even with 4 12"s just in the "seat of the pants mic" still makes me warm and fuzzy inside.
I dunno what to do. it seems like the W7 really is the best for my wants.
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2006 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
That volume displacement chart of mtx is based on theory, in the real world things would be different depending on the instal. if you compare 2 10" 9500 with 2 12" 7500 on that MTX Volume Displacement the winner will be the 2 10" 9500 series by 0.5dB, i know that the different of 0.5dB isn't audible, but they should be as loud if you compared them based on the result of that MTX prog.
Wel i've test that, i had 2 10" 9500 dvc in 1 cuft each sealed enclosure power by the mtx ta81001 at 1ohm giving them 1500wrms it was very loud for two 10's in sealed enclosure. but when i tested 2 12" 7500 svc in a sealed enclosure 1cuft each power by the same amp but at 2ohm, giving them like 800wrms the 2 12" 7500 where way louder that the 9500 series. and that was 800wrms against 1500wrms so there's come efficient in play. i mean if 800 wrms are louder than a setup with 1500 wrms which one would you choose?
i wouldn't trust that program of MTX.
Shaking The Neighborhood
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic