icon

cutting a window to show amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noobhemi 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, im trying to cut out a square window out of 3/4 mdf to show an amp that will be underneath it. Im having a hell of a time trying to cut it out with my router...is it possible to cut out the window using a jig saw? Whats the easiest way to cut it out? Might be a little confsusing to understand but any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Just tryin' to learn...
grantd 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
A jig saw should work just fine for you to cut out a hole in the mdf. It's going to give you some trouble if you're trying to flushmount some plexi or something in there. The router in that case is used to make a lip for the plexi to sit on. Anything else just let us know.
boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Use a jigsaw or I actually prefer a Rotozip to cut the hole out. Then use your router to make the lip for the plexi to sit on.
If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
noobhemi 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  

boug0752 wrote:
Use a jigsaw or I actually prefer a Rotozip to cut the hole out. Then use your router to make the lip for the plexi to sit on.

Im going to go with the rotozip..it seems like the easiest way. Thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it.

Just tryin' to learn...
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Use a fence or guide for whatever tool you use. It will give you a straight cut.
sparky
boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds good man. Good luck. Lets us see what it looks like when your done...

If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
juniorxs 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
use some double sided tape to fix down some battens then run your router against them, as long as you fixed them down straight your hole will come out perfect.
tackbradley 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
hey noobhemi, let us know how it works out! im curious about the same thing! good luck!
~Jason
(516) Drum Co.
noobhemi 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
Well, its been slow... this is basically my first time working with all the tools im using (17 yrs old). So far so good though, i finished cutting out the wlindow. The rotozip helped A LOT! ill keep u guys informed and take some pics of my progress
Just tryin' to learn...
noobhemi 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

Well, here are some pics of my progress and my truck which i am making this amp rack for... 

cutting a window to show amps -- posted image.cutting a window to show amps -- posted image.

cutting a window to show amps -- posted image.

Just tryin' to learn...
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic