icon

Besy Buy Installers, What do you make?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
let me say this, i am pretty sure there is no master installers making 30 an  hour. I don't even think ron gold makes that much. As of right now there is no pay increase for master installer level but that is going to change soon and from what i hear it is going to be big.
kwalton 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
so what are you hearing??? i would be interested if there was going to be changes coming down the pike.
as for ron gold; i can't imagine he makes to much because he works in the south florida region. i recently moved to south florida from the baltimore/dc area and from what i have seen so far this area is run by a bunch of incompetent people. there is one bay that i know of that have not installed alarm, remote starts, or overheads for over a year now because noone there knew how to do them. the bay i am cuyrrently in is definitely the most experienced in the area and we will take on anything that comes our way.
Fastlearner 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah but ron does know his doodie. I sometimes have to read his tips twice to understand them. But they are coming out with a pay increase for master installers. And from what my services manager tells me is that they are also going to be doing the mobile to go where installers will have a van and go to dealerships and do work.
a568272 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
Ron Gold lol!  I think that guy's hilarious.  And he does seem to know what he's talking about.  I think highest post count goes to him on the tech tips board, with one of the installers in my shop coming in a close second.
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry to rain on your parade, but Best Buy and car dealers will never work!  I've worked directly with dealers for the past 5 years and the two types of businesses are totally different.  One of the biggest things is how will you get paid?  Dealers like to issue PO's and pay a lump sum at the end of the month, they aren't going to pay for each job that is done.  Another thing, dealers don't sell anything unless they can make money.  How are you going to convince a customer to buy something from a dealer at a certain price, when they can get it at Best Buy (the same guys that would be doing the installs) for a different price!  There are so many other problems with that idea, but I don't have the time or energy to write them all down, b/c like I said...it will never work.
doibuy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
I know you bleed BLUE, but trust me this will never work.  There are too many smaller companies that specalize in this type of work for you to compete.  Dealers need stuff done yesterday, not today or tomorrow.  That means having the parts and product to do the job immediately not, we'll order it, corporate will have to approve it, then it will be in next week.  It's all about relationships, that means you'll have to have a rep or saleman to take care of the account, someone they can call when they need something, at any time of the day or night. 
Fastlearner 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
It will easily work. You would be surpirsed on how many best buys already deal with dealerships for things like Overheads, adding power locks, remote starts, used cars they get with stolen radios. Everything best buy could do. Especially around my area where one street in a two mile strecth has about 15 dealerships. This is a big oppurtinity for best buy and they will easily capitalize on it. Post your arguements and i'll disprove them.
doibuy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, maybe I should rephrase my statement "it will never work"  to "it won't be successful".  There will always be one or two dealerships which may send a car here or there (probably in your smaller markets), but for a big corporation like BB with stock holders they have to keep happy it won't be successful.  Besides as soon as they get their numbers and it doesn't show the type of profit they want, or a new idea comes around they'll ditch it and move on to something else.  I've worked for big Best Buy/Circuit City types and there have been so many big ideas like this that went away just as fast as they came about.  Just don't get your hopes up!
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
my last day on the job at best buy. i stood up in a meeting and told the gm he was an a hole. ended up getting choked by the #2 guy and rolling around on the floor. cops where cool when they got there they said that if they arrest me they arrest everybody. i guess i wasn't bestbuy management materiel. i'd go to work for popeyes fried chicken before i went back to best buy. also---- i'm looking for installers in the atlanta area if any of you smurfs want a job let me know.
I can eat fifty eggs
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
Ya know it's amazing how quickly any post relating to best buy goes off topic.  I think there might be 6 posts that involve the original question.  And lets not even get started on the dress code thread.  Just my 2 cents.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic