12'' Alpine Type R

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigosh 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Hi,
First of all let me say I am a bit new to car audio so bare with me. I Have read around on the forums and searched for what I was looking for. I got a little help but could not really I find what i was looking for or not in a language which I understand, hence im a bit new to car audio. In the past week I have been searching around for amps/subs/head units for the car audio system that I plan on building. I have came to the conclusion that I 2 12" Alpine Type R's, but i have a few questions about them.
In my car audio system I am looking for power and sound quality. I have about 2000-2500 to spend and looking for the best set up for my money. I am looking to hear some subs that hit hard but at the same time deliver good sound quality. Speakers are already installed so that is not needed. From my reseacrh I have came to the conclusion that Type R's will be the best for what I am looking for. Thus I want to build a system around 2 12" Type R's.
Here's a few questions I have for anyone who can help.
1. If given the same amount of rms 500w (4 ohms) SWR-1242D and 500w (2 ohms) SWR-1222D what will be the difference between these two. Which will preform better? Which will hit harder? Etc etc... Which would you recommend.
2. Which AMP would you recommend for 2 Type R's at 4 ohms and 2 ohms? Remember I want to maximize each sub to peak performance.
3. What time ob box would you recommend? Which box gives best quality? hits hardest? loudest?
4. Anything else i should look at before making my
purchase?
Thanks in advance,
Osh
bigosh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry for the few spelling mistakes typed that out in a hurry.
For Question # 3 its supposed to say What type of box*
Osh
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

If you are going for sound quality a sealed box  is your best bet.  Post up what kind of vehicle its going in and I'm sure someone will have some more specific ideas for ya.

Also look into sound deadning the car prior to the install.

As far as a noticeable difference (1st question) I don't think you'll notice a difference with both getting 500 rms.

2nd question I'm sure you'll want to stick with alpine and I don't knwo there line to well so someone else will have to help you on that one.

3rd sealed.

4th make sure your charging system is going to handle your stereo system, alternator battery etc.

bigosh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
The car is a 2006 Lincoln LS Sport V8 /w 12 Speakers No navigation.
Yes, I plan on installing dynamat before everything else.
4. I was told to buy a capacitor and that would do the trick? The person said 1.2 farad would work like a charm.
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  

About capacitors....alot of people here are completely against them, some are totally for them. I'm not a fan. I feel a properly built system doesn't need one, normally. For a stereo your size, I don't imagine it being necessary. other opinions will be different. It's a money thing really.

The Alpine Type R is a nice line of subs. Personally, i've grown very attached to my Infinity Kappa 10" It's frightening how well it performs. Plays lower than any 10 I think i've ever heard, and it's box is too small, can't wait to put it in the proper box. But yeah, the Alpine's great choice.

I kinda stick more to installing it, than keeping up with numbers, so as far as an amp goes, i'll let someone else tell you those numbers. The Alpine Digital series amps are alot more glamour than necessary though, cause without the headunit, the talking function is useless.

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
jayson358 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
i have two type r swr-1242d in my diamante useing a clif designs cd10.1lx mono block amp pushing them @ 1 ohm its rated 800w rms x 1 @ 1 ohms @ 12.2 volts and there in a 1.4cu ft ported box tuned @ 40hz and damn if they aint the best sounding 12's in a ported box ive ever heard and its jus so tight and clean and deep umm i really dont recommend a sealed for those they jus dont hit right in a sealed i tried them in a sealed when i first got them for a day and wasnt impressed then i put them in the ported and it was a difference of night and day i hope this helps u a little
93 diamante
pioneer deh-p3800mp
crossfire 40 band eq
alphasonik pma4075 mid amp
clif designs cd10.1Lx sub amp
powerbass xtreme 6 1/2 comp
"   " 6x9 rear
alpine 2 12" type r
ported 40hz tune
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

about those caps and things....

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=73496&PN=1

there's your answer

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
bigosh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Alright guys thanks for your help so far. I think i've decieded on a alpine amp but if I were to choose from -Alpine MRD-M1005 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pKp6BZzHkfz/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=500MRDM105)
4 ohms @ 700 rms
2 ohms @ 1000rms
$549.99
Alpine PDX-1.1000
(http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pKp6BZzHkfz/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=500PDX1100)
4 ohms @ 1000 rms
2 ohms @ 1000 rms
$799.99
What do you guys think?
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
Correct me if i am wrong but I thought i read some place that an amp rated 500 RMS @4 ohms wouldn't have as good/clear sound as an amp rated 500 RMS @ 2 ohms. I could be completely off my rocker but who knows. Also thought i read (probably smae place) that a ported box would be better for over all sound quality then a sealed. From my understanding a sealed hits harder but won't go as low or sound as good when it hits low. I've always run sealed since I usually listen to alot of fast beat music like metal or alt and techno. The few times i have run or heard vented they always sounded less thumpy but hit the lows so much better.
One thing i do know, depending on how much room you have as this may not make much differance, a sealed box doesn't need to be as big as a vented box would need to be. If space is a premium you might want to consider a sealed box.
Feel free to correct me if i am wrong on all counts.
aceracer24 
Copper - Posts: 140
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and if you can avoid it, don't buy fron Crutchfield. They are a good place to buy stuff but usually alot more expensive then you might find locally or god for bid Ebay. Carefull buying on Ebay though. Great stuff at great rices but sometimes you can get a raw deal. I'm so far 3 for 3 on good deals!!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic