icon

12'' Alpine Type R

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  
I've had the MRD-M1005 with two 12 Alpine Type R's and it sounded pretty clean.
The new pdx line i havent tried yet.
The 1005 should be enough for two type r's.
Also i've heard the type r's in a sealed box and prefer ported. Hits cleaner and not as muddy. I don't know why.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
First, the difference between the SWR-1242D and the SWR-122D is only the wiring options - two SWR-1242D's can be wired for a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load where as two SWR-1222D's can be wired for either a 2 or 8 ohm load. They'll sound they exact same.
Either of the amps you listed would work great for this setup. If you've got the money, the PDX-1.1000 is smaller, and will do 1,000 rms at 2 or 4 ohms. I've used the MRD-M1005 to drive a set of Type R's in my own car, and was very impressed by that setup. But really, either one will do the job very well - it's more of a question of, do you want to pay a couple hundred extra bucks for the newer, smaller, cooler looking amp?
As for the box - You'll want to put your Type R's in a vented enclosure for sure (assuming you've got the room) - it'll give you the deep, powerful sq you're looking for. REMEMBER: The box is more important than the sub itself. Your box could make or break your system. Also, if you don't have the tools or skills to build a very good box for these, you'll definitely want to have one of your local car audio shops build it for you. As for the actual box dimensions, you'll want to follow what they have listed in the manual for those subs... I think it's 1.3 ft^3 per sub tuned to ~32hz.
Since your subs are going into a trunk, I would suggest sound deadener. And lots of it. All over.
Also, make sure that your car's electrical system is going to be able to handle all that power. Also, make sure you've got the right size power/ground cables running to your amp.
Oh, and whoever said don't order from Crutchfield... Don't listen to them. I have ordered a couple sets of subs from them, and they have had amazing support for all of them. Something breaks, they pay shipping to send it back and you've got a new one within a couple days waiting on your front porch. Very quick.
On a side note, what's the rest of your system consist of?
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=boardinbum]

Oh, and whoever said don't order from Crutchfield... Don't listen to them. I have ordered a couple sets of subs from them, and they have had amazing support for all of them. Something breaks, they pay shipping to send it back and you've got a new one within a couple days waiting on your front porch. Very quick. QUOTE]

Thank You. Yes, I'm all about supporting the local shops in your area, but in the event they don't have it, go crutchfield long before you even consider Ebay. That guy has been lucky as hell so far. I personally, have gotten screwed there. Ultimately, you have no idea if the amp works or not when you purchase it on ebay. I was sold a burned up amp. But definetely check your local supplier first, we need to stay in business. But if all else fails, hit up crutchfield.

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
bigosh 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
boardinbum wrote:
On a side note, what's the rest of your system consist of?
Thanks for the help, as fort the rest of my system i plan on the following...
Keeping my speakers stock. The Lincoln LS model I've got comes with the premium sound. 12 speaker THX system I believe there Alpine or Bose, not sure. Anyways what do you guys think about this? New speakers or Stock-they sound great with out a subs, but what about with them?
As for head unit
JVC KD-AVX2 /w sirus adapter
(http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dd3MOzT2s5n/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=257KDAVX2)
I like it because it supports mp3 dvds, also has a small screen for dvds, but isn't as expensive as a full blown screen /w dvd player. Also the fold away screens don't look very attractive when there folded in. Any input?
I just don't know how I am going to configure it to twelve speakers. Any ideas? I think I might just take it into a shop and have them do it for me, but I am trying to save a little money on installation fee's. My buddy knows a bit about audio installation. He said he would help me fiberglass a box and install the system for free.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  
Does that LS not have a factory amp that you could possible hook up to that HU??
Cuz 12 speakers are kinda a lot for a stock dash HU.
bigosh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
Im almost positive it does haven't really taken it apart yet to see. With 12 speakers though i don't see how it doesn't.
boardinbum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Have you already bought that JVC HU?
bigosh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  
no
bigosh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
probably will be making one large purchase from crutchfield with all the items in the next few days of so in i think
boardinbum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2006 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
If you're going to spend that kind of money on a deck, I would definitely suggest looking at some higher quality alternatives. Take a look at the Eclipse line - very high quality decks for a reasonable price. I personally would not buy a JVC deck.
As for your 12 speaker system... I'm not sure what to tell you. If it was me, I'd swap them out for a nice set of components up front and a pair of coax speakers in the back.
If you really want to keep the stock system, I'm sure there's more experienced members on here that can tell you how to do it. Or you could always ask the guys at your local audio shop.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic