door sensors and parking lights problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sigh 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I have a 2002 Corolla CE and I was installing a car alarm on it. Everything was working perfect but then i started having problems with it.
Door Sensors:
Since i couldn't find the right RED / WHITE wire at the fuse. i just connected it to the light indicator of an opened door. Since the light lights up only when a door is opened (thus a ground is provided instead of 12v. My alarm is also negative triggered) It was working for a while, but then it stopped, and now my door sensors are not working at all even when the alarm is disconnected. I was thinking that somehow i blew a fuse, but then where is the fuse box for that and i'm guessing there shouldn't be because its a negative triggered not positive. Where should i go from here? is there anything else for me to check that must have gone wrong?
Parking lights:
When i tried to hook up the parking lights to the GREEN wire they worked. Locking feature works awesome and the lights blink once, but when i unlock it the parking lights blink twice, and then stay on, along with a sound i think the same sound as when you forget to turn off your headlights when you exit the vehicle. So now i'm kinda dumbfound i was thinking to connect it directly to the "parking lights" above my radio, but then i decided to ask first.
Thanks a lot for reading this and i hop that someone would help me
Peter
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
when you say the warning sound stays on with the lights, the other part of that circuit to make the sound is the door pin wire and you say they dont work now anyway, so you deff have a fault there, does the vehicle come with a factory alarm unit?
i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
sigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
thanks joe_1,
it is wierd because i forgot one think to test and just tried it. you know how when you forget the headlights, and then open the door to get out, there is a warning sound. well i still get this warning sound when i leave my headlights on and then open the drivers door, which leads me to the conclusion that my door sensors are actually still working. So i checked again with a multimeter the light indicator to which i mounted the alarm door trigger input for an opened door, which is supposed to give 0v, when anything is opened. well it didn't it is a constant 12v no matter which door i open.
Also when i was installing the alarm i actually mounted the lights before i did the door triggers (before i even started cutting those wires), and it was giving the warning light with the light in the exact same pattern ONLY when i unlock doors. when i lock everything was woking good.
And lastly but not the least, the car doesn't have a factory alarm and pretty much doesn't have anything, since its corollas basic model. I wanted to put the alarm actually so i could put later on actuators on the door and have power door locks.
The alarm by the way is Omega K9 Classic-e and according to it, there is one door pin trigger input wire (-), which i connected to the light indicator for an open door, and also a parking light output(+), which i connected to the GREEN parking light wire in the car
thank you very much again for the input
joe_1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

ok try getting the RED / white wires from the 12 pin plug on the back of the fuse box test them to get the correct wire,

the problem with the lights could be a fault in the alarm or you are somehow latching them on in the car but i dont think that is possible, disconnect the wire going to the green parking light wire and put a meter to it and see if it holds power still after they have flashed.

i am also a technician so if you have any engine trouble let me know, and i will do my best to help.
sigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
thanks joe_1,
i found that RED / WHITE, i didn't know to look in that 12 pin plug. all i was looking before was around the starter below the steering weel and close to the fuse box, but i never really saw that wire. so i'm going to mount the door trigger to that wire. But then how would you suggest on proceeding to try and fix my open door indicator that i had previously hooked the wire to - do you think i might have disconnected the wire going to the indicator, thus not lighting up the switch?!?
About the parking lights:
initially when i started doing it i saw 2 GREEN wires around the fuse box, and since i wasn't sure which wire it is i just tested them - both didn't have a constant 12v when the lights are fashing, so i gave up on that and i started looking underneath the fusebox, and then i saw another GREEN wire next to my clutch pedal on the side, with a lot of other GREEN/ (other color) wires, which i remember seeing similar knott of wires coming out of the general parking lights switch above my radio. so i tried that wire too - and yet again no 12volts when the lights are flashing. than i came to the conclusion that there might not be a need for a constant twelve so i just connected the alarm wire to one of the green wires, and that's all i had - i tried them now again and yet i don't get 12v on any of the 3 green wires when the lights are flashing
could the wiring diagram for a corolla be wrong and the color be different!?
thanks again a bunch
joe_1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
well i have the same info as you on the parking lights but there are 2 green wires, 1 is positive trigger, and the other is neg trigger, so that could be why u didnt get positive as it was neg wires you were trying to read, remember allways chech the polarity before you connect any of the alarm wires to the vehicle wires as you will cause problems or permanant damage to the alarm unit itself.
sigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
thank you very much joe_1, i'll look through it again more carefully than i did before as soon as i get the chance, because i'm off to work now. So, hopefully the real issue will come out. i'll post updates
Thank you very much again
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  
DOOR SENSORS:
Even though the domelight and door-ajar light are ground-switched, the other side of the light bulb gets constant, positive power, which IS fused.
So, you'll want to locate the domelight fuse in the fusebox, and test it.
To do that, you could remove the fuse and inspect it visually........ or just leave the fuse in place, and touch your test light to each of the little pieces of metal visible on the front of the fuse......they should BOTH be getting positive power at all times.
PARKING LIGHTS:
Everything sounds normal from what you describe.
On Toyotas, if the lights are on, while the ignition is off, the "lights-on" reminder chime comes on too.....that is normal.
Also, Omega products turn on the parking lights steady, for 30 seconds after disarming.......that is also normal.
If you don't like that feature, it might be possible to go into the Omega's programming menu and turn it off.
joe_1 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

yeh also try what chris has said about the light in the dash, but usually the permanant live that feeds the positive side of the instrument cluster is all on 1 fuse, well most of thecars i work on are like that so that would mean nothing would work at all on the dash cluster if the fuse was blown,

also are you connecting thecorrect wire as in the pos or neg input triggers on the alarm to door pin wires.

sigh 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you very much for all the input,
Last night i sat down and checked everything - and yes your are both right for the parking lights - i don't know how it slipped through my mind - when the door is closed there is no warning sound and when i wait for around 30 sec the light goes out and when i open the door there is no sound. So now i'm sure i don't do anything wrong with the parking lights and i'm going to solder it tonight. that's DONE - one less thing to worry about :)
Ok now for the door sensors: this is a little wierd i usually have my dome light off, but yesterday i switched it to on and it works, so from what i have now here is the situation with it:
- the dome light detects any open door the usual way - and it works perfect (so i decided not to open it).
- the lights warning sound starts whenever i have the ignition off and the lights on and open the drivers door - as usual.
the only problem i could find was only one light in the dash, that doesn't work - 'door ajar' (the wire going to it is the RED / WHITE wire i connected the alarm to, since i couldn't find the RED / WHITE wire to the dome light)
So, when i tested the RED / WHITE wire going to the door ajar light, it provides constant 12V no matter which door is opened, which i guess leads to the non working door-ajar light and alarm door trigger input (it was '-' input, i checked 3 times), since it is not switching to ground when a door is opened. so this is where i stopped and i couldn't figure out why it happens this way. I checked every fuse in the fuse box next to all the wires as well as the other 3 fuse boxes i have under the hood (2 close to the battery and the third on the other side close to my windows wiper fluid).
so now i'm not sure what to look for next - i don't know where there might be more fuses to check, since nothing should be damaged - the door triggers work perfectly fine but when it comes for that one RED / WHITE wire going to the door ajar light from the door triggers - it is constant 12V at all times and doesn't switch to ground when a door is opened and i'm guessing now it should be a fuse, because something is just not grounding right.
any suggestions where that might be!?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic