Deep Bass box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lolzitsmtss 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys, whats up...Gotta question for ya so here goes

Is it true that the bigger the box the deeper the bass. Now im not talking about a 50ft box is going to make my heart bump out of my chest but just a little larger box might help? I kno its not that simple cause there are formula's and everything to make a box thats why im here. I want to make a box that will fit 4 or even 6 6 1/2's (havent decided yet) and a 10 or 12 " sub. Now im not going down the SPL route Im going for strickly SQ. i want HQ speakers and a deep deep sub. So im looking at the box having the speakers on the side and the sub in the middle.. can i have the sub without and enclosement inside the box? should i have the sub enclosed in the box? also..its not safe to have the amps inside the box cause of no air correct? can i face the amps inside? If my sub is enclosed in the box i can have the wires run out the box but if i have the amp not enclosed in the box then i cant let the wires run out due to the fact that air is geting in and out.. and thats not right?

anywayz i dont want to confuse you guys anymore cause im confused just listening..this is the first step so i can change and im going to change alot of things from your responses... I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.. and any ideas you guys got im totally open to them... thanx for your time guys

I guess that guy has subs.
gavin9797 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I will give this a shot. First, have your sub in an enclosed chamber (to itself). Second, do not mount your amp inside the box, mount it on the outside ( depending on the size of the amp etc. you will want steady air flow moving over the heatsink taking the heat away. You are correct about the different boxes, look at your manufactures recommended box size. Depending on what kind of music you listen to may influence this choice as well. A properly ported box (larger) will likely give you a little deeper bass than a sealed box. You can get deep bass out of a sealed box but may need to put more power to it. If you look on here you can find a box/port calculator that should assist you.

For example I had a 10" sony explode in a sealed box with a 250w ( RMS) amp....my midrange hit deeper than it. So I kept the same amp and sub but put it in a ported box and got some decent bass out of it. Then I got good subs and gave the Sony away! ( no offence to Sony guys)

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  
First, I would say start off by typing in correct English...well somewhat I guess. And try to use capitalization and spacing where needed.
It's hard to reply to a post that confuses you.
Also yes you can have the wires going through the box...Just make sure to seal up the hole caulk or silicon.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

hey guys, whats up...Gotta question for ya so here goes

Is it true that the bigger the box the deeper the bass? Now im not talking about a 50ft box is going to make my heart bump out of my chest, but just a little larger box might help? I kno its not that simple cause there are formula's and everything to make a box, thats why im here. I want to make a box that will fit 4 or even 6.. 6 1/2's speakers (havent decided yet) and a 10 or 12 " sub. Now im not going down the SPL route. Im going for strickly SQ. i want HQ speakers and a deep deep sub. So im looking at the box having the speakers on the side and the sub in the middle. Can i have the sub without and enclosement inside the box? Should i have the sub enclosed in the box? Is it safe or no to have the amps inside the box cause of no air correct? should I or Can i face the amps inside? If my sub is enclosed in the box i can have the wires run out the box.  If i have the amp not enclosed in the box then i cant let the wires run out. Due to the fact that air is geting in and out. Thats no good right?

Anyways I dont want to confuse you guys anymore.  I'm confused just listening. This is the first step so i plan on changeing alot of things from your responses... I'd appreciate any feedback you guys can give me.. and any ideas you guys got im totally open to them... thanx for your time guys

Thats better?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
Nope not true at all. Too large of a box will result in the amplifier losing control of the motion of the driver, end result is bass that sounds like a wet fart. Why do you want to put so many 6.5" speakers back there? Read the what is a proper sub box sticky first. Then come back to the table with some new questions.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

"Why do you want to put so many 6.5" speakers back there?" I want more highs. I want to hear alot of sound from speakers and just a little from the subs.as my previous setup i had more bass then anything so im trying to flip it. Also because im on a street team for a few of the underground/indie scene and i pull up to concerts and shows and play the music and have anyone that likes it to come check it out.. Thats my biggest concern so my previous setup had 200watts from speakers i would like about 400-500. I Will hardly be inside the car but about 10-15 feet away.

As for your "what is a proper sub box" sticky. Great stuff saved it and printed it out for future reference. That shows me what kind of boxes there are and to how to make them. But imma Newb i don't know which box to make. Maybe im missing something..thats why im here to learn...sorry if im slow.

aznboi3644 
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
If you want more highs than why don't you put like a couple 10 inch full range speakers in the back on a 2 channel amp...Should be loud enough to be heard over the subs.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2006 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

they have those?!?!

Im going to do some research right now.

Thanx for the tip. I greatly appreciate it.

aznboi3644 
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
go to http://www.partsexpress.com/
They have plenty of anything.
lolzitsmtss 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  

Thanx alot man.. appreciate your 2 cents