icon

Vehicle Fire, Poor Stereo Install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
otter 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
well, all I can say is that I am really happy to live in my "what if world" where I fuse my power wires, and my alternator wires, and don't have to worry if for some odd reason something rattles loose!
don't let that deush get to you... you help many people with great information every day!
elicoleman 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

elicoleman, did you notice if this install had a fused distro block?  If it did, then the fusing sounds appropriate to me.  If there's one main power wire it would use only one fuse.  Could be that the fuse didn't blow because the power wire never shorted to ground before the distro block.  Perhaps the electrical system was rendered out of order before the power wire insulation burned off.  The distro fuses would have blown when the cap shorted to chassis.  I'd have to do some CSI stuff on this one to be sure of the reason, but it reasons that the cap discharged into the chassis because of its bad install location, combusted nearby carpeting or something, and... goodbye 300.  Fuses couldn't save the car in this case.

Another good reason to forego the cap.

No dist. block. Had one 4gw going from the batt to 1st amp then a jumper 8gw from the 1st amp to the second. Had a fuse at the battery for the 4gw.  It was hard to tell, but it didn't look like the fuse blew. I could not tell what size fuse it was either. I had to do a little CSI for the report and in my opinion the cap arced to the body and the sparks ignighted the upolstery on the back side of the rear seat, which was also exposed, and about 2" from the cap. I don't think the lack of fusing was the direct cause, but it didn't help. Who knows, the only thing I am 99.9% sure of is the fire was caused by a poor stereo install and it started in the vicinity of the capacitor.

No comment on those super installers on the other forum. Thats what I only use the 12 volt for advise.

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
Curious that a standard 12volt electrical system would have the energy to arc over an inch air space.  It take about 25,000 volts to jump a 1/4" spark plug gap. Besides it would take the shortest route and arc to the negative terminal on the cap.  Must be different cause.  Was the cap damaged by being squeased to tight?  Also, materials used in cars are designed not to burn, and a not likely to catch fire by an arc.  Was the power wire pinched, but this would have blown the fuse.
elicoleman 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

lspker wrote:
Curious that a standard 12volt electrical system would have the energy to arc over an inch air space.  It take about 25,000 volts to jump a 1/4" spark plug gap. Besides it would take the shortest route and arc to the negative terminal on the cap.  Must be different cause.  Was the cap damaged by being squeased to tight?  Also, materials used in cars are designed not to burn, and a not likely to catch fire by an arc.  Was the power wire pinched, but this would have blown the fuse.

Maybe the cap was not secure and it wobbled into the body. Materials in cars DO burn. I see it everyday. Carpet is designed to not sustain combustion, but other materials in vehicles will burn hot and fast. I don't really know exactly how the fire started and I really don't care. I do know it was a poor install and like I said before, 99.9% sure it caused the fire. That leaves the remaining 0.1% chance of spontanious combustion or a meteor strike.

And I am no electrician, but if you need 25,000 volts to jump 1/4", then how did I shock my little brother with my finger growing up by rubbing my feet on the carpet. Pretty sure I didn't generate 25,000v.

audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
I was taught that you fuse everytime you change wire size and of course always within 18" of the battery. This includes Aux batteries in and out. The main fuse is to protect the wire, not the gear. I believe there was a previous post stating as long as you run the same guage of wire to all your amps (assuming the wire guage can handle the entire load) you can use 1 main fuse and a non-fused distro. A Fused Disto is to break out of the larger wire to feed other loads, usually smaller guage needing smaller fuses.
Tonight was the first time I visited caraudio.com After reading a few posts it will be the last time. Most of the comments were uneducated, clueless and flat out lame! Support Public Education so I can sleep better.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

Rob, you are now on path for forum wars!! Don't worry dog, I got yo back! There might even be a chance of forum terrorists.

Ignorance is bliss, at least until you destroy your gear, car, and yourself... 

ngsm13 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Awww, report back to your chronies? Get a little butt-hurt and need some e-love from your groupies?
I'm not here to cause problems, I'll be here to browse and learn.
If there's so much to learn here, we'll see.
1. Never made fun of this thread. It is apparently an example of an extremely poor install, with no precautions taken whatsoever. I would probably take legal action.
2. I have taken my precautions, different then yours. But I guess I should get used to it, this seems like a "by the book"... and "on paper" type place... where if it breaks what is generally accepted as the norm... it's looked down upon.
3. I like my POS truck. That's all that matters, your feeble attempts at personal criticism are astonishing for the type of people you play yourselves off to be.
I'm still in the SPL phase, and competition style rubs off on me. You guys would drop dead walking into dBDrag World Finals lanes... wow. I'm talking prolly in excess of 1000ft. of 1/0, and well over 80 group31 batteries. No fuses to be seen. BUT, other precautions are taken. Why don't you go over to Termpro.com forums and criticize world champions and world record holders?
Like I said, to each his own. If you "high class" people get off on criticizing my work, and making childish comments about my life... then go for it. I'll be fine, in white suburbia, in Ohio.
otter wrote:
don't let that deush get to you... you help many people with great information every day!
Also, learn to spell. *EDITED*.
I use fuses sparingly.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

Perhaps Karma will get him. My crystal ball is predicting a vehicle fire regardless of how safe he thinks he is. Lets see, that is a sure fire (haha) way to also have ZERO insurance as well. I can go without that site and others no doubt. What I really find funny is that this person, who is apparantly a moderator, does not realize that he is also telling all the other people who may read the thread that it is alright to do what he is doing. It is not alright, it is dangerous. What if he is in an accident and his passenger is now trapped. The line short circuits, the vehicle is up in flames and while he may be out, his passenger is in there burning alive. All this idiot thinks about is himself. I really hope someone links to this thread for him and he reads this as well. What he is doing is wrong and dangerous. Lets see, add on a fuel leak and another car that perhaps ran a red light, now you have a much bigger problem. The single biggest danger on the road today, is the 16-25 year old male driver....with an attitude like his, now you know why.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

Well, welcome to this forum non the less. This and any forum I am on, you are always welcome to come and learn. There is something to learn every single day. I after 20 years in the bay, continue to learn new things as well. Again, you have a sizeable investment in your system and your vehicle, all I and other professional people in the industry want for you is to protect your investment, yourself and any other occupants. Dude, I have no idea as why you gave me a ban other than you may not have agreed with what I said. I was a little abrasive sure, this is how I am though. The school of hard knocks is where my mistakes have come from over the last 20 years and I will continue to learn from my mistakes as well.

There are many people on this site, myself included, that if tasked to build a world record holder, certainly could take on this task in a safe manner. I would love to see the SPL side of this business make proper fusing mandatory. If this was a trailer queen, I could see the no fuse issue and agree with it as well. If this is a daily driver, the fuses just have to be there. I realize that it may not be an expense that you want to incur, it is however the best start that you can do to make a difference to what other people see and think. Consider what I am saying here. Other people on the site may not be so rational sometimes and it shows in their posts as well. As a senior industry member I am quite rational and highly applicable at how I do things. Consider the options here dude. Hope to hear back from you.

Mods, do not ban this person please, lets give him a chance to meet on the same ground.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ngsm13 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 12:09 AM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:

Perhaps Karma will get him. My crystal ball is predicting a vehicle fire regardless of how safe he thinks he is. Lets see, that is a sure fire (haha) way to also have ZERO insurance as well. I can go without that site and others no doubt. What I really find funny is that this person, who is apparantly a moderator, does not realize that he is also telling all the other people who may read the thread that it is alright to do what he is doing. It is not alright, it is dangerous. What if he is in an accident and his passenger is now trapped. The line short circuits, the vehicle is up in flames and while he may be out, his passenger is in there burning alive. All this idiot thinks about is himself. I really hope someone links to this thread for him and he reads this as well. What he is doing is wrong and dangerous. Lets see, add on a fuel leak and another car that perhaps ran a red light, now you have a much bigger problem. The single biggest danger on the road today, is the 16-25 year old male driver....with an attitude like his, now you know why.

Get this, I GUARANTEE it's not gonna happen. Remember my username, I'll still be on ca.com in 2...3...6years, and I'll have a brand spankin new truck by then.
Get over it, get over my project truck, get over yourself Mr. Middle-Aged know-it-all... glad you can predict the future as well Vehicle Fire, Poor Stereo Install - Page 2 -- posted image. what will my next dog's name be?
I'll also be around, and GUARANTEE that even if I am in a wreck... my electrical won't cause any problems. So, mark my words... and mark yours too. I'll still be around.
Anyways, learn me... learn me something...
nG
I use fuses sparingly.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic