icon

Would someone use WinISD for me?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2006 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
No Duley, you won't be able to hear the differents.
Here's a thread when i asked a similar question as yours.
Shaking The Neighborhood
duley3 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
Okay thanks, Would someone use WinISD for me? - Page 2 -- posted image.
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  

Just one more... I just want to make sure before I start cutting.

If I had 2 boxes one at 14W 10H 14D and another at 12W 14H 12D (as long as the volume is the same) and placed the sub in the top of both of them the sound wouldn't be any different even if there is more space behind the sub in one box and not the other? I know the number I put up don't work out to be the same volume. I just throw them out there for an idea.

The reason I ask is I want the subs to fire upward, But with a short box.

furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
As long as the volume of both boxes are equal the subs will sound the same.
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

I know I'm making this harder then it needs to be. But, I just want to get this right the first time. So I guess I do have one more question. And then I think I'm done. I think !

The sub calls for .8 cu ft of volume on the inside of the box. But does that mean with out  the sub in it(  Build it with .8 and then put the sub in )? Or will I have to figure the space that the sub will use after it in the box? Meaning I would have make the box bigger so I still have .8 cu ft inside when the sub is in it.

I hope you people could figure out what I was asking. I don't really know how to word it.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

duley3 wrote:
 Meaning I would have make the box bigger so I still have .8 cu ft inside when the sub is in it.

That's correct.  Net volume is the amount of air after you've deducted all displacement volumes.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

Thats Just great....Would someone use WinISD for me? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Now, I don't know how to do that. It was a little nicer when all I had to do was build a box with .8 cu ft. Now I have to TRY to figure how much extra room is needed.

Could someone help with this? How do I figure that out? I'm not an installer or box builder. I'm only doing this one time. and have never done it before ( If you couldn't tell already) Maybe someone could use the spec. in the very first post to help me. PLEASE...

duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

I might have found it on my own...  HERE right under the chart on the first page. There are different enclosure types. The first one is for a sealed box. In this part it has..Encloseure Volume at .80 cu ft   ..  Then 2 or 3 lines down it has  Net volume at .75 then Driver volume at .05

Does this mean that it is still .8 cu ft and they have figured the volume of the driver already?  And I can go ahead with my first plans. Build at .8 with out the driver. 

Please look and make sure I'm understanding this right.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 01, 2006 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  

Look at the bottom couple of lines of the spec listing.  "Speaker Displacement inside box".  It shows that when the sub is mounted like normal to a 3/4" front baffle, the displacement that it will take up inside the box is 130 cubic inches.  To find cubic feet, divide by 1728 which comes out to be .075 cubic feet.

I saw what you were referring to above.  They are indeed stating that you should build the box to a gross total of 0.8 interior cubic feet.  They are indeed stating that the driver will displace about .05 cu ft of that and that the response as shown is with a net volume of .75 cu ft.  But now you see how things are in this world of sub boxes....while at one place you find that the driver will displace .075 cu ft, at another place in the same document you find that the driver is displacing only .05 cu ft.  You might say ????

Here's the scoop on that:  the first part is to make it all work out easier with the least amount of figuring.  In a sense, they are providing easy instructions.  But in the latter part, it becomes a bit more precise.  That's about all there is to that.  And another point of interest:  it would most likely sound just as good, if not better, if the box were built about 1 or 2 tenths of a cubic foot on the large side.

But to answer you earlier question about how to calculate displacements:  driver displacement is usually given somewhere in the spec sheet, or they allude to it somehow and somewhere.  Any other displacements have to be measured and cubic inches calculated.  These other types of displacements might include the physical port including additional walls built for its use (for ported boxes), and any braces or additional baffles that might be incorporated into the box structure.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
duley3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2006 at 6:15 AM / IP Logged  

I would just like to thank everyone that helped me with making these boxes. I got it built and it they really sound good. I bought 4 of those speaker and only needed 2. They hit ALOT harder then I thought they would. I had them in a every large enclose just to be able to use them. They didn't sound that good then. I also didn't know what there was so much thought put into car audio.  But now that I have them in the right box I don't need all 4 only 2. I guess I will sell the others.

But any ways Thanks everyone..

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic