icon

I fried my Kicker today

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arcangel9 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2006 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
So My friend and I had just got off of work and we were going over to this kids house so I could buy some component speakers, We are listening to Blueberry Yum Yum by Ludacris, damn does that song slam.
And all the sudden It stops.
So we get to the kids house I pop the hood to make sure everything with the power wire is ok.....Check
Ground Wires......Check
Fuses on the amp....... One of the two is blown so I figure maybe this is the problem, so I put a new one in.
I turn on my head unit and the amp powers up.....The speaker bumps like once and starts to pop.
Im like love somethins wrong.
I then take the sub out of the box as soon as I get all of the screws out I take out the sub and smoke just pours out of the box.
Apparently I fried one of the voice coils. Luckily Its a Kicker SoloBaric L5 and all Kicker Products have a one year warranty all I have to do is send it back and Ill get a brand new one.
So this is my story of the day. I blew my sub but I also got two Kicker 6inch midrange speakers for 50 bucks.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2006 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
what impedance sub sub do you have and what amp?
what load do you have it wired to?
what style of box? sizes?    instead of a story lets to to figure out why you blew your equipment and try to prevent it from happening again
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
arcangel9 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
2ohm 10" SoloBaric L5
KX600.1 Kicker Amp
Running off the battery to a capacitor to the amp with 4ga. wire.
The box is a truck box seen
Here
arcangel9 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
Also I notice your from Twisted Image. Is it the same one in Ashtabula?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
i didnt know there was another twisted image...I have a shop in NW missouri for a little while, but things got tough so I closed up and am pursuing other things till the time is right.
how did you have your sub wired?    I dont think the KX600 will take a 1 ohm load for daily use
2007 World Record
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
never mind I just looked at the link...the box is actual 2 ohm impedance......
Is your gain set correctly?   if you are unsure of this look at the gain sticky at the top of the threads
2007 World Record
arcangel9 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
My gain probably wasnt set right, They say to turn it up 3/4 of the way and I had factory speakers so they prevented me from doing it, so I just left it around 2. But Im getting 6" Kickers installed in my doors, today so when Crutchfield sends me my new sub I will be able to do it correctly.
And as I said there is a Twisted Image in Ashtabula, Ohio, about 2 miles away. They are a group of street racers with some pretty badass cars.
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
arcangel9 wrote:
My gain probably wasnt set right, They say to turn it up 3/4 of the way and I had factory speakers so they prevented me from doing it, so I just left it around 2. But Im getting 6" Kickers installed in my doors, today so when Crutchfield sends me my new sub I will be able to do it correctly.
And as I said there is a Twisted Image in Ashtabula, Ohio, about 2 miles away. They are a group of street racers with some pretty badass cars.
People in Ashtabula have kickass cars? wow who knew, i live west of ashtabula by about an hour.
anyway, im confused as to why you say you had factory speakers which prevented you from setting a gain correctly? am i missing something?
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
arcangel9 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
I had factory speakers so I couldnt turn it up 3/4 of the way, now I have aftermarket kickers so I can do it correctly when I get my new sub. And yeah there are quite a few nice cars in this area, they are either really doodiety, or nice
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 13, 2006 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Still don't get the relation of gain to factory speakers or not...still making no sense...gain on amp is for the sub...why would it affect the speakers?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic