Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
dam word censors
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2006 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
lol, I was wondering why you "worded" it as love. I thought you might be from Berkeley, CA or something, you know ...audio hippie. I like the hippies though, they are laid back.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
you can have both, thus the made up word SQL....but it is really defind but the person that owns the system.       Our current setup is "SQL" but to some people it might sound bad, others it might sound really good.
It is middle of the road on SQ for us, but it is mid-high end of the road of SPL on a meter for us with a street setup
It is all in the eye of the beer holder, thats it isnt it?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

I never said you cant have both in the same vehicle, just not with the same setup. I sort of have both in my car. The bigger setup of the 2 though is SQ. I have all of the remote wires going to all the amps that deal with my SQ portion on one switch and the remote wires for the "SPL" portion on another switch. I have the otion of running either one at a time, or both at once if i choose. If you go to the store and ask for a SQL sub, if the salesman knows what the hell he is talking about, he is going to tell you that you cant buy one because they dont exsist. SQ subs are designed completely different from SPL subs.

To me its all in the eye of the competition judges.

"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:

I never said you cant have both in the same vehicle, just not with the same setup. I sort of have both in my car. The bigger setup of the 2 though is SQ. I have all of the remote wires going to all the amps that deal with my SQ portion on one switch and the remote wires for the "SPL" portion on another switch. I have the otion of running either one at a time, or both at once if i choose. If you go to the store and ask for a SQL sub, if the salesman knows what the hell he is talking about, he is going to tell you that you cant buy one because they dont exsist. SQ subs are designed completely different from SPL subs.

To me its all in the eye of the competition judges.

Sure you can. JL Audio W7. It's not designed to be the very best at SPL or at SQ, but the best of both at the same time. The Eclipse Titanium subs and the Adire Audio Brahma could also be categorized this way as well, as well as some others that I have no practical knowledge of.

Not having ever heard your setup, I would think that running "both" at the same time would be rather muddy across certain bands where the thump/loudness of the SPL setup is competing with the clarity of the SQ setup. Maybe it sounds good to you, and that's all that really matters.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
I dont run them at the same time for just that reason. All I said is that I have that option.  Now, you are correct in the sence that those subs that you just mentioned could do either SPL to a degree or SQ. But, it all depends on the box. IF you build a box that can do a little of both, it will be just that, not the best of both worlds.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic