icon

Idea for new box, Good or not so good?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
studum 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  

I posted this on another site, thought I'd try and get some opinions from here also as I am about to design & build a new box for my car.

I have 2 Infinity 1230ws (4ohm) which I have to build a box for. This is going to be going into my own car, a 2000 Subaru Legacy. This vehicle does not have a fold down rear seat, just a "pass-through" centre armrest in the rear bench.
First things first, I'm planning on building a sealed box, 2.5 ft^3 as recommended by Infinity. My aim is more towards sq than spl.
As opposed to firing the subs to the rear of the car as they are traditionally done I thought of a way (or I think I did) to get all of the sound into the passenger compartment of the car.
My idea is to fire the woofers towards the back seat and force all of the pressure from the subs into the cabin through the lowered pass-through in the bench (I would always have this down except for the rare occasion in which I carry 4 passengers with me)
I would accomplish this by building a standard sealed enclosure and pointing it towards the seats, but build sort of an additional enclosure infront of the woofers which "contains" the bass except for a hole the size of the armrest, which would allow the sound pressure to travel into the cabin. This would be similar to a bandpass design except with a bigger airspace and a larger opening which is not a port.
Has anyone ever done anything like this before or have they seen it done? Is it even worth exploring? If not I guess I'll do the tradtional sealed and point backwards.

Here's a dwg that I made up quick. I hope you can read it alright and understand what's going on.

Idea for new box, Good or not so good? -- posted image.

Two benifets that I thought of associated with an encluse like this are 1) no damage to the sub by using the trunk (which I will be doing regularily), and 2) Theoretically there's no need to dynamat the trunk because there's little to no air movement in there.

Like I said, if you guys don't think it's going to be good then I'm just going to build a standard box to take up as little room as possible.

I'd like to hear what you think as I'd like to build the box this weekend.

Thanks in advance.

studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

I forgot to add this part:

Will there be any type of "port noise" or is the chamber and the opening through the seat large enough that that won't happen?

In the rear seat attached to the pass-through there is a fold down armrest for the rear seat occupants. I was planning to try and keep it so that the armrest would remain for the rear seat occupants and remove the rest of the passthrough, then cover the opening in the rear seat in grill-cloth so it just looks like the rear seat armrest is folded down for use, not the whole passthrough.

This would be much more stealthy installwise and be more comfortable for rear seat occupants (I often have 2 passengers). This way would allow for an opening through the rear seat of about 12" tall by 8" or so wide vs. the 9" by 16" of removing the armrest and passthrough all together. Would this restric the air movement from trunk to passenger compartment too much? Idea for new box, Good or not so good? -- posted image.
Another question about plexi... would the front face of my box be too big to make with plexi, so that from the trunk you can look into the box and see the front of the woofers? How much does that type of material usually cost and what should I look for? I've never used plexi before in a box design.

Thanks again

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like an autocad dwg to me. Nicely done dwg. i had a similar design for my last bod. I had a port through the center of my back seat with the subs firing towards the front of the car and i wasnt too happy with it. my current box is a little smaller and everything facing the back of the trunk and is much better for SQ.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

Ya its a CAD dwg, threw it together last night.

How big was your port? My hope is that the chamber between the box and the car and the opening in the seat will be large enough that it does not act as a second enclosure (or a bandpass box).

I like tighter bass, my ultimate goal is descent SQ althought I know its not going to be super fantastic or anything. I'm just trying to do what I can with my budget.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
I dotn remember the dimensions. It was a 7.5ft^3 box with a decent sized port. I was warned by several of my installer friends who make boxes for a living that forward firing/ported boxes dont sound good. They were more than right. It has something to do with the sound waves and the way they bounce off of the cars interior.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
I wonder if it'll make any difference that my actual enclosure is sealed, not ported Idea for new box, Good or not so good? -- posted image.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
i did an install with a pass through like that and all i did was make two seperate enclosures facing the rear but left the space inbetween so if you opened up the pass through then it would fill the cabin a little better, or so it seemed. just an idea.
studum 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
I thought about this too. Its probably my second option.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

I think someone in the fiberglass forum is doing something simmilar.  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=79973&KW=frame

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
FYI, MR2NR = forbidden and the advice I gave you is sound.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic