icon

SPL Setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackmica3 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Heres my dilemna. I'm just getting back into  wanting to compete. So I'm going over every option for my vehicle. I have a 2000 Extended Cab Chevy 1500. I want to do 4 12" subs where the back seat is at now. Removing the seat of course.

My question: When looking for subs would excursion play a factor for you guys? Keep in mind I'll be competing SPL only.

The reason I ask is the two brand of subs I'm looking at that are readily available to me have the following excursion: 14mm and the other has 18.7mm. Both are rated at approximately the same RMS, 600rms for the 14mm and 500rms for the 18.7.

Brands: Rockford Fosgate T1 and Dayton MKIII

I want RE, but I am having a hard time finding them readily available. Other recommendations to me have been the 12" Memphis MOJO. But they require 3cu.ft per sub for vented with an RMS of 1000. And I'll only be pushing 2000 watts RMS.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
Maybe look at cone area and excursion together
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
For LOUD, with no regard for SQ, I would also recommend looking into Cerwin Vega, or something with a much shorter excursion capability.
Long throw woofers will RARELY, if ever equal the output capabilities of a shorter throw woofer.
Here's a thread regarding this.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
blackmica3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, they are trying to talk me into 4 T1 15" Rockford Subs.  The price is right $275 per sub. But then I'll have to up my amp. I only wanted to run 2000 watts, but with 4 T1 15" I figure I would want at least 4000 watts. Now we're talking high output alternator, 2 batteries, etc. I don't know if I want to go that big. I mean it would be nice to be in the high 140's to 150's, ahhh I don't know. We'll see. If I get started here with it, I'll keep you guys posted with pics.
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrox...OVER! My head is spinning like the day after a bottle of Patron!

Ham...I'm going to have to search through all of your posts now and compile an audio reference manual (I'll have to include DYohn as well). Always good stuff from you guys. Always something that makes me glad I joined this forum.

BTW...nice SIG change.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
You Rang?   haha        Excursion has some benifits, but it also can cause alot of failure.
Here are some comparisons for you
(2) 12" DD9512 with 3382 watts = 148.6db
(1) 12" Rockford T2 with 2487 watts = 145.3db
(2) 12" KICKER L7's with 3382 watts = 152.2-153.1
(2) audiobahn 10inch prefab bandpass subs in custom box with 682 watts = 142.2   hmmmmmmmmm
If you really want to get into my notes and disscuss some things I would glady do so, send me a PM with your phone # and I will give you a call
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
blackmica3 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
^^^^You have PM. Thanks!!!!
12vdeej 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  

I may be the only person on this forum that does this, and there may well be a good reason for that, but you could consider using pro audio drivers rather than automotive components. The reason for doing this is the massive increase in sensitivity, giving you much more volume for the amount of input power you have available. To give you an idea of the difference the new JL audio 12W3v3 has a sensitivity of 87.15dB 1W/1M, whereas the eminence delta 12A i use (x2) in my sub has a sensitivity of 98.3dB 1W/1M. This equates to around 10 times the power input to the JL driver than the eminence driver to make the same SPL. The downside is that excursion on pro audio drivers is significantly lower. I decided to try doing this because of my pro audio background, and so far i am very pleased with it. I'd like to know if anyone has any opinions on not using automotive/mobile audio components. You may find it interesting, while im blabbering on about sensitivity, that i've built a horn loaded sub that has an efficiency of 102dB 1W/1M and with a 350W input from my amp will blow the bloody doors off! The picture below shows the sub missing its side so that you can see the horn section (which is 7 feet long!)

SPL Setup -- posted image.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
DD has been making great waves in the SPL lanes as of late.....funny thing....it has been making waves here at a SQ based store as well.....SPL Setup -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 26, 2006 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Long excursion is a by-product of two factors:  greater and cheaper availablity of POWER, and the need for SMALL ENCLOSURES in automobiles.  Search Steven Kephart (author) or excursion (message body) for several discussions regarding this.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic