icon

Flat cone drivers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
I haven't seen any flat cone drivers in a while. Just curious why not?
Also, what are the characteristics of flat cone drivers versus the typical concave cones?
On a side note, I've always really liked the look of the flat cone subwoofers.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
It just isn't a practical design.  There are no performance benifits, so the only reason to use it is for the cosmetics.  Plus a cone shape has a MUCH better stiffness to weight ratio.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart wrote:
It just isn't a practical design.  There are no performance benifits, so the only reason to use it is for the cosmetics.  Plus a cone shape has a MUCH better stiffness to weight ratio.

Out of curiosity Steven, do you have any experience with the Arc flatlines or even the E.D. flat cones? I thought that with a flat cone, more stiffness was achieved?

I might add that I owned a pair of PPI pro flat pistons and although they blew constantly (not necessarily due to cone design) they did sound decent.

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
For a little comparison...Flat fiberglass isn't nearly as stiff and strong as curved fiberglass.
Is this a good comparison??
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 5:14 AM / IP Logged  
Fiberglass is a good analogy- the same with sheetmetal.  If you add ribs/curved shapes you get more strength and less flexing.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
That's what honeycomb materials are all about... the BEST stiffness to mass ratio available for a given construction material.
If I recall correctly, Blaupunkt had a flat "full-range" honeycomb speaker a few years ago, they worked really well...
After I blew em up, I took them apart to test their actual strength. I was able to stand on one without it crumpling. Granted, I was WAY smaller then, but still, the diaphragm only weighed a few grams.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  
have you ever noticed the big spheres they hold oil in? The reason why they are shaped in a sphere instead of another shape is because it can take more pressure. A box would not be as strong and would be so big it would be impractical to build.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

nouseforaname wrote:
hhhmmm.......i wonder if i could make a round sub enclosure......Flat cone drivers? -- posted image.

Sure, Ive seen them

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
Likewise
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2006 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
Another good analogy is the egg.  The shape of an egg makes it incredibly strong.  The shells are brittle but if you squeeze an egg from end to end it's very strong.  The reason behind it is the dome shape disperses pressure evenly across the entire egg.  Flat shapes aren't going to have this working for them and they are going to bend or flex, or break if brittle, in the most stressed area.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic