icon

2002 Chevy Tahoe Keyless

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Red97LT1 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
A buddy of mine has this truck and wants to put keyless entry in it. It already has power door locks.I was looking at the wiring diagrams and it seems like a pretty simple install. I was told that I would just need to piggyback the lock/unlock wires at the BCM. What does piggyback mean?? Is it the same as splice?? Thanks
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
never heard the term piggyback. But yea, splice into the wire (or if its hard to reach use T-taps)
Red97LT1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks
josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

captainzab wrote:
never heard the term piggyback. But yea, splice into the wire (or if its hard to reach use T-taps)

please dont ever use T taps .solder and tape at the least. ive been installing a long time and have never had to use a T tap and i cringe when i see them. thay are are by far not a solid connection

bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
i dont use them often, only when i am forced to. There are some cars where they place the lock/unlock wire up and behind the fusebox and there is no way my hands can reach up there.
But i do hate installers who overcharge and use T Taps
Red97LT1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Don't worry, I always solder and wrap my connections.2002 Chevy Tahoe Keyless -- posted image.
josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  
i dot care if i got to pull a fuse box or a dash i have never and never will use a t- tap. but to each his own. if you got fat hands, you got fat hand, what can you do
bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
tkegler 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

use a gm bypass and follow the instructions one wire hook up

95/max/w 4-15in.subs
Red97LT1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
I wasn't aware that this could be done by using a harness. Care to elaborate. Thanks
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 01, 2006 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
Red97LT1,
First, I don't think I've seen a GM full-size SUV that did not have keyless entry as standard equipment........probably, the thing already has keyless; just buy some remotes and figure out how to program them. (It's possible you'll have to pay the dealer for programming.)
Otherwise, it's an easy car anyway.
The lower driver's dash panel comes off with two 7mm screws......behind that, there's a heavy metal bolster you'll want to remove; four 10mm nuts.
After that, the wires are pretty much staring at you......constant and switched power are in the harness going to the steering column........lock, unlock, and parking lights are at the BCM immediately below that.....and there is plenty of bare metal around there to use for a ground.
If you were really in a rush, you could also find lock, unlock and constant in the driver's fusebox, with no disassembly required......although I don't think you can get switched power, or parking lights there.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic