JL Audio 500/1 and Boost

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
intargc 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Click here for a layout of my AMP
It's a new JL Audio 500/1. I have 2 12W3v3's hooked up to it (which are 300w RMS each, so this amp is a tad under as far as power is concerned...)
I'm curious if I messed with the Boost knob if it would cause any problems? I'd like my subs to be a bit more boomier at lower volumes and I didn't think that touching the gain would be a good idea?
Should I adjust to my preferences with the Boost knob, or should I do it with the gain?
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

JL has an interactive tutorial about how these controls work. Goto www.jlaudio.com/tutorials and try it.... they also show you how to tune the  gain with a multimeter, but you do need a specific cd to do it correctly, this is also in there. Good info in these tutorials if you take the time. Otherwise, I would go about 2/3 with the gain and tune the boost until it sounds better or the subs start bottoming out, one or the other.

My rifle is my friend...
intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not even sure if this is what I need. I just figured it may be the only way...
My problem is that the subs are barely noticeable with some types of music and EXTREMELY noticeable with others.
Some dance, some hip-hop and definitely rock/metal, you can hear the subs, but they're very light sounding. However, I put on an old 2-pac track and all the of the sudden I thought I was going to get blown out of the car! It's just such a dramatic difference...
For instance, the drums and bass throughout a Pantera song aren't are noticable as they were they were on my old system (a single 10W3v2!), but the 2-pac track was very apparent and very loud and used the subs very well. I was scared I was going to blow a sub it was so loud (but didn't hear any distortion)!
Is there a good way to kind of even this out?
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Good call customak...I think they changed their link to http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=127. There is no general setting for gains. Please read this thread https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=79611&KW=setting+gain. I like that amp, there's a lot of great power and control over the signal. Even with your subs rated at 300 Watts, that setup should sound great! I don't tihnk you'll have any problems powering those subs.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
customak47 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you need to turn your crossover point up to probably 100-125htz during that song and see if you get a better response. Try a 24 db slope too. I think the main issue is that you went from a 10 that responds to higher bass better to 12's that respond to lower bass better. This doesn't mean you can't tweak it to get the sound you want out of them, its just a natural tendency that smaller speakers respond to higher frequencies better. great rule of thumb....if there's no distortion..........................................TURN IT UP! jus kidding, hope this helps
My rifle is my friend...
intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys! Those tutorials are very helpful! I was reading some on there about making a box, but I never saw the amp ones!
customak47: I'm already at a 100Hz crossover on the amp. However, I believe I'm at a 12db slope. I'll try bringing it up to 125 and putting it at a 24db slope. Thanks.
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
i understand where your coming from. listening to different types of music myself i encounter this alot. you can try what they are saying above or try the bass knob. or do both. its funny whenever you plug that bass knob into the slash seires amps they get louder! (wierd, huh?) so try it they arent that exspensive. then retune your amp and go with it.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
My head unit has a subwoofer controller on it. It goes from 0 - 15. Is that similar? I thought the bass knob that you can plug into the JL Audio amp basically controlled the "Boost" knob remotely?
intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  
i have a multimeter with dcv and acv sections. do i use the acv?
steezs 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
Get an epicentre :D
the duce
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic