JL Audio 500/1 and Boost

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

customak47 wrote:
....I think the main issue is that you went from a 10 that responds to higher bass better to 12's that respond to lower bass better. This doesn't mean you can't tweak it to get the sound you want out of them, its just a natural tendency that smaller speakers respond to higher frequencies better. great rule of thumb....if there's no distortion..........................................TURN IT UP! jus kidding, hope this helps

^^ That's totally not true. Just because a sub is larger dosn't mean it can't play higher frequencys as well.

And turning the gain up to 2/3 of the way and messing with the boost is not a good idea. Like someone said above, turn the crossover point up a little, and set your gain like the tutorial suggests. The way the JL tutorial says to set it just gives you a good idea where it should be, and you might need to turn it up or down a little after setting it that way though.

It's also ok to use your bass boost control at lower volumes, but don't over use it (I probably wouldn't turn it up past a quarter of the way or about 3-6 db of boost).

coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
I'm willing to bet that the recordings are on a burned disc. Most likely with a crappy bitrate.
Am I right?
This will drastically affect your system's performance.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

coppellstereo wrote:
I'm willing to bet that the recordings are on a burned disc. Most likely with a crappy bitrate.
Am I right?

I've noticed this before. Some of my burned discs have softer bass than CDs I bought.

BTW here are the direct links to the JL tutorials you should look at.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=144

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=143

intargc 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
coppellstereo wrote:
Am I right?
All recordings are on my iPod in AAC format at 128kbps bitrate. All tracks bought from iTunes.
intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Also, does anyone have an answer on the multimeter question I asked? Should I use the ACV when doing what JL Audio suggests on setting the gain?
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
if i am recalling JL's tutorial corrrectly you want AC volts cause speaker level audio signal is AC, hence why the Voice coil changes polarity.
2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
I believe that there is still bit loss using AAC simply due to the nature of iTunes and the way the music is transferred. This should not, however make a drastic difference in the amount of bass coming through. Here's a good thread to read https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=54671&KW=dynamic+range might be more information than you are looking for, but what the hell.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I guess the V in ACV stands for volts? :) I'm a newbie here...
Also, in JL Audio's tutorial, they say to turn your head unit up 3/4 of the way. Which, on my Alpine headunit is around the 25 mark. The problem is, if I can't turn it up past 20 without blowing my ear drums from the door speakers. It's a Bose setup and I'd rather not go in and try to figure out how to disconnect these speakers to venture on this gain setting thing.
Is there any way around this? Would it be OK just to set it at 1/2 the volume instead of 3/4? My radio RARELY goes above 16. I had it up to 18 last night playing a track that was light on volume... But, typically, 16 is REALLY loud to me.
steezs 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
ok if you have the money to buy jl's just get an epicentre it will add all the bass you need enough to blow your speakers. since you listen to all kinds of music not all music has a lot of bass like rap and dance music have a lot more than most rock music  just go look at what an epicentre is :D
the duce
intargc 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2006 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
steezs wrote:
ok if you have the money to buy jl's just get an epicentre it will add all the bass you need enough to blow your speakers. since you listen to all kinds of music not all music has a lot of bass like rap and dance music have a lot more than most rock music just go look at what an epicentre is :D
How do you know that I didn't save up for 2 years to get the JL's? :)
Point me to where this Epicentre thing is... I googled it and like 20 different things have come up. Some about DNA testing, which I doubt is what you're refering to.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic