icon

Excess fleece

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
judgedread 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
What do i do with the excess fleece on the sides of my box. The fleece overfolds on the sides like a curtain. I havent applied resin yet or staple/glued the fleece to the box just yet. But my preliminary cover with the fleece shows im gonna have too much.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

are the sides going to be shown? if they are there is a little more work involved. You have to staple the fleece down to the box on the sides as cloe to the edge as possible. The generously apply your resin. Then you have to go back and lay fiberglass matting along that same crease but on the inside of the box for added strength. Once everything is hardened and strong, go back with a vary course sanding disc or grinder and grind off the extra fleece with reisin in it to make that side of the box flat again.

If the side is not going to be shown, just staple the fleece down and resin it. dont worry abotu the way it looks.

There might be a better way of doing it but thats how I do it.

crazyoldcougar 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
rabbit the edges of the box...that way you have somewhere to staple and it will be recessed, enough that you can build it up to match perfectly with edges of the MDF...without haveing to worry about grinding it down...and make it a weak point..
Fiberglass Guru.
judgedread 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
thanx, i was just thinking about cutting the excess and then super glueing into one., anymore suggestions are welcome.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
the rabbit idea is a good one. thanks cougar, forgot about that one
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
no matter how you do it, id still recommend using FG matte on the inside crease for added strength.
torquehead 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2006 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  

Cougar beat me to it!  Definately, rabbiting the edges is the fix before its an issue at all.  Also, as Nouseforaname said, bury the excess in the rabbited edge...so...

Add this to your mental data-base:  A box we built only required a small section of FG to curve deep into the box to feature a face of an amplifier and a 8 inch sub...together.  Kinda hard to explain the look.  Anyways, it was pointless none the less to fiberglass the whole side of the box just to make this indentation.  So, a rectangular hole was cut to allow fitment.  Then about 1 inch around each side of the rectangle hole I use a router to cut a "trench" as if it were a moat for the hole.  I used a

router bit like this oneExcess fleece -- posted image.to cut only 3/8 inch deep.  I stapled the cloth as close to the inside of this router cut "trench" as possible.  When I cut the excess polyester fleece cloth, I lay the excess that passes the staples down into the "trench".  I applied the resin to the cloth.  After the cloth is saturated, I pour the rest of the resin into the trench to fill it, along with the excess cloth.  When this is final it finishes off flush with the original surface, easier to smooth out overall which relieves you of the useless voids you have to sand, sand, sand....

judgedread 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
thanx for the help, but it panned out for me just going through the motions. Im  applying resin tomorrow any tips.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
ya small sections at a time. Use a 2" paint brush to dab the resin on so not to creat bubbles.
judgedread 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2006 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
to late for that, i applied resin today and only got about 95% of the box done. the first batch i mixed was good i guess because the second one hardened up on me. This stuff gets really hot and have pics for you guys to see When Applying Resin Goes BadExcess fleece -- posted image.. So i guess im gonna have to buy some resin tomorrow and finish up the rest of the box. Tuesday i will be applying the mat and hopefully that goes according to plan. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic