amp/sub combo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nothingface9 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
I plan on using this amp:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=7&family_id=22&item_id=95251&locale=en_US
with 2 of the following subs:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=4&series_id=32&family_id=12&item_id=91833&locale=en_US
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=4&series_id=32&family_id=12&item_id=91835&locale=en_US
Im looking for the best way to wire this combo up and which impendance subs to buy, the 2 ohm or the 4 ohm. I want these subs to be loud tight and puncy for my metal i listen to.
Thanks for any advice :D
nothingface9 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
And one more thing, is it recomended to get a capacitor for this set up as well or should i have enough power?
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

A capacitor will not give you more power. A capacitor at best will simply be band aid for your electrical system if it is having problems. If you upgrade the "Big 3", that will take care of most issues you may have. If you still have problems, then an upgraded alternator would be the next step.

I have 2 of the T112D4 subs. Your 10s will be a very nice selection. Personally, I would choose another amp. My personal preference would be to keep the load at 2 ohm and not drop it down to 1 ohm. That amp does have cooling fans, I'm just not a fan of 1 ohm loads due to the heat.

To run the subs at 1 ohm for that amp, you'll need to get the 2 - 4 ohm DVC subs and connect them like this:

Option 1 (parallel/parallel) = 1 ohm load
Voice coils wired in parallel, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 1 ohm mono

amp/sub combo -- posted image.

If you upgrade your amp, or get one that can supply 1000+ Watts @ 4 ohms you can wire it like this:

Option 2 (series/parallel) = 4 ohm load

Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4

Look at the manual for the subs. They have good information regarding the recommended box size and port configurations. Make your box SOLID and AIRTIGHT. Trust me, they will find any air leak you may have. They will pump hard!

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
nothingface9 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Awesome, thats a huge help. 

Can you recomend an amp for me?  Im open to anything, cost shouldnt be a problem. 

My vehicle is a 2003 GMC Sierra.  If i notice flickering lights and such, that means i should probobly try uping the big 3 or  grabbing a cap in your opinion?

Flakman 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

You will find that the general concensus here will be that a Cap is not the way to go. If you are battery cannot handle the current load, the cap will only buy you a little more time before the battery gets depleted. If you are running 1000-1200 watts in a Sierra, upgrading the Big 3 should be all you need.

I wish I could say that "cost shouldn't be a problem". If this is really the case, my recommendation would be the Eclipse DA7232, and then get the T110D2 subs (2 ohm DVC) and wire each sub like this to each channel:

Option 2 (series) = 4 ohm load
Voice coils wired in series
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 4

That shoud hit like a Tyson uppercut! Of course...stating that the cost shouldn't be an issue...others may chime in with a change in subs, but I don't have any problem with your sub choice.

The Flakman
John | Manteca, CA
nothingface9 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm well to be honest, that amp might be a bit over my price range im looking to spend.

The price on the rockford amp was about where i want to be.  Also, the dimensions on that rockford amp are almost exactt for the amp area ont he box im using.  18 x 13-15 inches.

Any other suggestions?

Flakman 
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

Don't worry about it. I would love to have the amp myself...but can't quite swing that kind of change.

The Rockford amp will push those subs fine. You will just need to wire the subs like

Option 1 (parallel/parallel) = 1 ohm load
Voice coils wired in parallel, speakers wired in parallel
Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 1 ohm mono

As I said, that amp will do the job, and it is fan cooled (which is what will be needed running at 1 ohm). The amp will need to be mounted somewhere that allows for plenty of ventilation.

Anyone else have some amp suggestions around the $700 mark?

The Flakman
John | Manteca, CA
nothingface9 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.subthump.com/images/silverado/03dual10-2.jpg

Thats my box.  So it should have plenty of ventilation.  Ill probobly hold off a few days before buying the amp and see if i get any more suggestions.

thanks

Flakman 
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Just make sure that you have at least .8 cubic feet of airspace per side. Make very sure that the enclosure is sealed, and if possible, mounted to the vehicle. Hopefully someone will show up with some other amp suggestions. The guys that work shops will have a good idea of what is available.

Happy thumping!

The Flakman
John | Manteca, CA
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2006 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
nothingface9 wrote:
I want these subs to be loud tight and puncy for my metal i listen to.
You're focusing on the wrong things.
Wiring will not change the sound of the subwoofers.
You must focus first on the subs and the enclosure.
The enclosure will determine, to a large extent, the character of your sub bass.
For metal, I think I would probably choose a ported enclosure.
Also, I don't know what I think about those subwoofers. Is the efficiency located somewhere?
Also, for metal I'd go for FAST woofers. Try these:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Mobile/BrahmaSeries.htm
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic