the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Square Speakers, Why?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  
geezeride wrote:
I have no prob admitting "round speakers are boring." But they DO produce the smoothest low-end waveforms, which is what we're all after- accurate reproduction of the original sound source.
That's just because the few square (or non-round) subs you are familiar with weren't designed for SQ. That doesn't mean that they can't have just as good "smoothest low-end waveforms". A perfect example would be the Adire Parthenon that utilizes a square baffel and is probably more linear (will produce smoother waveforms) than any sub you have experience with. Square Speakers, Why? - Page 2 -- posted image.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  
Easy now, I knew I'd get a response out of my post, but re-read it. I said "Kicker's promo", which is what they said as their reason to build them square, not that I agree with them. I was simply answering a question.
'85 Toy
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

geezeride wrote:
I have no prob admitting "round speakers are boring." But they DO produce the smoothest low-end waveforms, which is what we're all after- accurate reproduction of the original sound source.

Actually this is simply incorrect.  The "smoothness" of the reproduced waveform is a function of the motor assembly and the stiffness of the diaphragm, not its shape.  As Steven mentions above, one of the best subwoofers ever invented is designed to use a square diaphragm.  Plus, a tweeter and a woofer actually do pretty much the same things, just in different frequency bands.

Support the12volt.com
billzum 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
What about a driver with a irregular cone face? I don't know a model to referance off the top of my head... but I have seen some that are not smooth. Would that play any role in sound reproduction?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Not in the sub frequencies.
geezeride 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
heh, OK guys, I did my geezer-rant on the general subject, and yea there's always some exception to everything i guess...
I'l let y'all take it to the micro-fine nitpicky details that only the the finest-sub-atomic-microcilloscope could detail!
have fun & thanks for the feedback! Square Speakers, Why? - Page 2 -- posted image.
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
In the proper box a Kicker L7 can sound just as good as any other sub..... and yes they do have more suface area.... up to 20% depending on size so it does move more air than other subs ( for the most part) u also have to remember that it is a SPL sub..... its not really meant to sound good just to be loud
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

kicker guy wrote:
In the proper box a Kicker L7 can sound just as good as any other sub..... and yes they do have more suface area.... up to 20% depending on size so it does move more air than other subs ( for the most part) u also have to remember that it is a SPL sub..... its not really meant to sound good just to be loud

good, so for competition, these would be great.  But I think most of us here are looking for daily driver type SQ.  I've had dozens of setups in my different cars (4 in just the last one), and I, by far, prefer a quiet system that sounds good over a loud system that sounds bad.

supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

I also like SQ, but it has to have some bump or it's a waste IMO. You can have both with the proper enclosure.

'85 Toy
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2006 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
Surprisingly, as a subwoofer (which is what they are designed to be) these Tang-Bands do a (significantly) better than average job. For the guy who wants to add a little bit of low end, without giving up ANY trunk space, these are a SUPER choice. A good 200 watt amp, bridged to a pair of those will really surprise you!
These are probably what my wife gets when we buy a new car for her, and I am FORCED to swap out the stock system, because I won't be able to listen to it on trips! Square Speakers, Why? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Speaking of which, anybody touch the new Honda "Fit" yet? What's the stereo like?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic