liquid fiberglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  

crazyoldcougar wrote:
i thought he is just looking for mold making materials...
i too wouldnt recomend making the actual eyelids out of urethane

That's even worse. Resin heats up quite a bit as well. Being in direct contact (or coated contact) will distort the mold after a couple of uses because the surface flows during curing. It's best to use a high grade plaster (ceramic plaster) for the mold, then apply a VERY thin coat of wood varnish.

Our average mold lasts forever (pending nobody drops it) One of the tweeter pod molds we have has made over 150 pods and it is still pushing them out for custom work. Our shortest mold was a complex impression of a mask the customer wanted throughout his vehicle. We made 15 copies of the mask before someone pulled the piece out incorrectly and broke one of the elements. Because we used a good quality pod to make the pod mold, when we reproduce it, it's practically ready for finishing (if skinning it) or just sand with 600 for primer and paint hold. Total time to reproduce: 2 Hours including time needed for the resin to harden and cool, sand, and paint.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
Melted Fabric wrote:
If it is Urethane you are after, then here are a few resources, got better links at home, but I am at work for the time being.
http://www.artmolds.com/category76.cfm
http://www.lumicast.com/links.html
I had Snow take a look at the links. Good idea but they were not designed for this kind of application. The first link's products are for low temperature molding and casting. The second link is for making molds for low and medium temperature urathane and rubber castings. We're curious to the other links. Please post soon. Thanks.
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Not a problem, I will email myself to remind me to post the better links when I am home.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic