Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2006 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
INSTALLER_MSS wrote:
< language=>postamble();</>
have you started the project yet? hate to have to clean up mdf dust in an apartment.
Maybe will start today if I get to it in time. I know about mdf dust...when I used table saw. That thing spit dust everywhere and anywhere. The jigsaw on the other hand just leaves some dust in front of it, without making it fly all over the place.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
*UPDATE*
I started with my first box today! And it didn't go so good. First, how do you cut straight lines with a jigsaw?? Now I have to go get a sanding block because all the edges are going up and down like waves, argh!!!
Second, I got my panel dimensions all wrong!! I used the box size calculator on this site, but didn't account for the 3/4" MDF width...just didn't think about it. Although, I figured how to remedy my mistake, and all I need is to add 2 .75"x.75" blocks at 2 opposing corners and all should be fine, except that my internal volume will increase from intended 0.95 ft^3 to 1.07 ft^3, which is ok, since that's a "practice" box and is not going to be used for my new system, which will require a 2.8 ft^3 box. To do it right the first time, all I needed to do is substract 1.5" from both sides of the 2 "inner" panels.
And for the time and noise, it took me about 10 mins to cut all my panels. I had music playing at moderate level and jigsaw would completely overwhelm it. I couldn't hear any music while cutting. But hey, no complaints so far :-)
the4biddendonut 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
i clamp a level or straight piece of wood onto the sheet that i'm cutting. then you can just run the jigsaw down the edge of the clamped clamped wood. it makes a very straight line if you can understand what i'm trying to explain.
in my opinion, a jigswaw is not a good way to cut 3/4" MDF. i would suggest investing in at least a circular saw, and use the same method of following a clamped straight edge. yes, the circular saw may make more noise, but it makes more noise for less time than you would with a jigsaw.
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. - Jack Handy
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2006 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I figured already that I need a guide, which can be my 36" ruler.
I'd rather get a table saw then, it would be even faster than circular saw, but I feel that jigsaw is fine, I just need to get used to it.
And would getting a better blade for the jigsaw benifit me in any way? Right now I'm using the single blade that was supplied with the jigsaw. I was at Home Depot today and they have blades for different types of cuts. They had a blade for "very fast cuts". It had longer teeth and 5 or 6 TPI. The blade I have has shorter teeth, and maybe 7 TPI. Would they get through MDF quicker? And also I saw blades for curved cuts...would they be better for curves? Should I spend my money on it?
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
There is benefits for having the wood cutting blade, they do cut better on wood than the metal cutting blades. They will cut faster. Theres no way it will even come close to matching the speed of a circular saw though, it just doesnt remove enough material for that.  Cant help with the curve cutting blade never used one.  Only thing that matters is that your happy with it.  Its all in how fast you want to get the job done. You can do the exact same thing with hand tools it would just take longer.  
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
darthness 
Copper - Posts: 136
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
ehh jigsaw is deffinitely a bad choice for cutting straight edges, imo. i'd just use a circular saw and tell your neighbors to deal with the noise for a few hours :P
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

realitycheck wrote:
There is benefits for having the wood cutting blade, they do cut better on wood than the metal cutting blades. They will cut faster. Theres no way it will even come close to matching the speed of a circular saw though, it just doesnt remove enough material for that.  Cant help with the curve cutting blade never used one.  Only thing that matters is that your happy with it.  Its all in how fast you want to get the job done. You can do the exact same thing with hand tools it would just take longer.  

I think the blade I have is also for wood. It's just that there are different types, for different cuts. But having bigger teeth makes me think it should cut faster.

vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

darthness wrote:
ehh jigsaw is deffinitely a bad choice for cutting straight edges, imo. i'd just use a circular saw and tell your neighbors to deal with the noise for a few hours :P

I wish it would work. Although, the same day I did my cuts, the neighbours from upstairs were hammering something from about 10:15PM 'til 10:45PM. So maybe I should pull out the all mighty plunge router...at 4 AM :-)

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah the bigger teeth will cut the wood faster. It wont be like a bandsaw though. I would think a jig saw would be louder than the router anyway, thats just my opinion though.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
the4biddendonut 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
not matter what you do is going to be loud. i would go for speed. that way the noise won't last all day.
i think a router is usually more quite than a jigsaw, untill you start cutting into the wood. that's when the router gets loud.
i don't see why you would use a jigsaw anyway. it would be pretty hard to cut a straight enough line that you can use for glueing a joint.
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. - Jack Handy
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic