the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

I need a quiet tool for MDF cutting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2006 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
the jigsaw is good for non-straight cuts but i agree with the circular saw idea.  it may be louder, but if you cut the whole box in 10 minutes or so, then it should only take about half that with the circular saw and it will be straight.  just buy one then return it to get your money back or borrow one.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, the box is finished, just need to carpet and install a cup terminal. Before putting everything together, I sanded uneven edges as much as I could, then glued, screwed and nailed the box together. After that I trimed any uneven edges with a jigsaw and applied some body filler where I couldn't trim. And that's it. A little more work, but at least I didn't have to recut everything. The final internal volume is 1.07 ft^3, instead of the planned 0.95^3. Here is a pic:
I need a quiet tool for MDF cutting - Page 4 -- posted image.
And the equipment :)
I need a quiet tool for MDF cutting - Page 4 -- posted image.
Btw, not a single complaint from neighbours ;)
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
since that is a sealed box, dont use a cup terminal. The cheap plastic creates a weak point in the box.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
What makes it weak? It's a very small one, 2 1/8 x 15/16" outside dimensions. It will be sealed just like anything else in the box.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:45 AM / IP Logged  
the plastic is the weak point. It flexes when under pressure. You are much bett drilling a hole just large enough to run the wires and use caulk or liquid nails on the inside to seal it up.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:56 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I was thinking about drilling holes (cheaper too), but I bought 6 of this terminals and want to use at least one or two. This box is just an experimental. And not sure how significant flexing would be since the terminal is so small.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
well flexing leads to air leaks. Eventually the cup will begin to loosen and air will escape the box. You can try it but I dont recommend them. Youll have to let us know how the sub sounds. what are you putting in it again?
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
I'm putting in a Polk Audio MM104 sub. I just wanna test it, that's all. I have it in a fiberglass box, which I'm not too crazy about how it sounds. Want to see if MDF will change anything. I have my bass boost at about +12dB @45hz, amp gain at max (600wrms)...that tells you it doesn't sound good. The sub is rated only at 500 wrms.
I had a MDF box before with a plastic cup. Had it for 1.5 years and didn't experience any air leak problems.
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 8:28 PM / IP Logged  

bass boost and overdriving the woofer doesnt help the quality of the sound it is making.  it hurts it a lot.  if you want it to sound good then build or buy a ported enclosure for it.  about the terminal cup, they are the weak point because no matter how tight you screw it down or press it in, it still will never make an airtight seal where the plastic meets the wood.  even if you cant feel the air leaking out, it still is.  drill a hole and seal it.

"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

Vbel good jobs looks like a nice box. Hope it woks for you. I would suggest dump the terminal cup. If your wanting to use it for an easy way to remove the box use this. http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

I got one of them for my box and it works great. I love it.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic