I need a quiet tool for MDF cutting

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
INSTALLER_MSS wrote:

bass boost and overdriving the woofer doesnt help the quality of the sound it is making. it hurts it a lot.

I don't agree. After retuning my amp for the setting I have now, the sound improved significantly. That's from my experience.
INSTALLER_MSS wrote:

if you want it to sound good then build or buy a ported enclosure for it.

I was thinking about it. After looking at this sub in WinISD, it is actually suitable for a ported box, and not a sealed one. The manufacturer, however, recommends a sealed one, which lacks bass.

INSTALLER_MSS wrote:

about the terminal cup, they are the weak point because no matter how tight you screw it down or press it in, it still will never make an airtight seal where the plastic meets the wood. even if you cant feel the air leaking out, it still is. drill a hole and seal it.

I don't even have to screw it in, because it would be held by silicone...the same sealant I use for the box. It will be airtight just like the rest of the box. I see no way of any air passing through.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2006 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
realitycheck wrote:

Vbel good jobs looks like a nice box. Hope it woks for you. I would suggest dump the terminal cup. If your wanting to use it for an easy way to remove the box use this. http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

I got one of them for my box and it works great. I love it.

Thanks. I will carpet it today, and tomorrow will test it if time permits.
That link didn't work. Which product that was?
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

hmmm sorry about that vbel, Just go to this website,  http://www.partsexpress.com/ and in the search area on the top left just type in quick disconnect.  Well I'll try and get a real link. The smallest they have is 8 gauge. This link works,  http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=263-110     It doesnt matter though about the gauge just fill the ends with solder and put your wire in there it will be like concrete in their.

Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2006 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
A little too pricey for a simple disconnect. Not sure how it is used though. You still have to install it into the box or you put it on the end of a wire?
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the box complete:
I need a quiet tool for MDF cutting - Page 5 -- posted image.
Carpeting wasn't very easy, but I think I did ok for my first time. Also, I skipped the terminal cup this time, because the one I ordered was sticking out and I didn't like that. So I went with drilling a couple holes... I put loads of silicone from inside. After testing the box, I accidentally pulled on one of the wires and it pulled out!!! So I can't say that this method is any better than a terminal cup. It is worse, much worse and unreliable. But can be ok if you don't touch your box or wires. I thought I cracked the silicone on inside, but after removing the sub, it was still all in one piece! Good thing I used a very flexible silicone and used lots of it. Still I don't like the idea of wires moving in and out so easily. Here's a pic of the terminals:
I need a quiet tool for MDF cutting - Page 5 -- posted image.
As far as sound goes, the box sounds good, or at least as best as it could. I can't notice anything that isn't right with it. I can't hear much difference between this and my fiberglass box. Now I can't wait to start my second box!!! :-)
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
the silicone you used is the reason why the wires move. I usually use stuff called liquid nails. Its used on decks and various other applications. Its like concrete for wood. Great stuff. The carpet job looks pretty good too. Good job!
the4biddendonut 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
the reason i don't like using cups is 1) they can be expensive, and 2) i don't like making splices in my wires if i don't have to. if you're going to have any problems with your wires, it's probably going to be at a splice or termination point.
so what i do is drill a hole for the speaker wire. i run the wire through the hole and strap it on the inside of the box, with a wire strap. then, i caulk around the speaker wire where it passes through the hole. the speaker wire is one unbroken length of wire from the woofers to the amp. this method has worked great for me so far.
I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. - Jack Handy
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:
the silicone you used is the reason why the wires move. I usually use stuff called liquid nails. Its used on decks and various other applications. Its like concrete for wood. Great stuff. The carpet job looks pretty good too. Good job!
I heard about this product, but never used it. I might try it next time.
Page of 5

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic