subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2006 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

jonathancullen wrote:
i got 2 rockford p2 12's so not loud enough. im lookin at the alpine type x 12, kicker L7, and after reading other forums the tc line of subwoofers. i dont really wanna spend more then 300 but if i have to oh well. im 17 and big into car audio. ive got the loudest system in school so far and want to improve on that with alot bigger bass. can anyone help me? what are the loudest subs out there without breakin the wallet. thanks guys pz out
Getting your subs into ported boxes will give you an extra 3 db (twice as loud)... As for brands, the team I am with don't like to recommend particular brands. But since you are on a tight budget, look for AudioPipe PR12 subwoofers and get them into ported boxes. They have a 95db efficiency so they'll sound good without wasting energy. Use the saved money to get a line driver to help take a lot of stress off your amp. Most HU avarage a 2v output for the line out signal. The line driver will boost it up to 6 volts or in some cases 8v. Not big brand, but if you get your HU, line driver, and amp gainset properly (meaning not by ear but with a scope; a good shop will do it for about 40-60 bucks) you can get some more boom out of it. It'll hit hard. We've done an install using two 10" versions of them (PR10) and hit 143.8 db on 500 watts to each. The key here will be your box and port. Get them done right and combined with the gainsetting, you'll have a system that you'll have a hard time breathing in let alone worrying about hearing loss.

jonathancullen wrote:
lol, come on guys help me out here xD. i am selling my rockfords in a couple of weeks to one of my friends. and 130db isnt alot so it will take a while b4 im deaf.  and as far as schooling im not a dropout or anything, im jus a kid that loves his music. and i get A's in most of my classes. as long as i can remember when my uncle had a system, i was like 8, i loved it and still do. dont dis me jus because im a highschool student. pz
  130 is a lot... about 8 times louder than your average Boeing 747 jet at 100 feet away. Exposure to it WILL damage (if not already) your hearing permanently. Don't think it will take a lot of time. It only takes up to 15 minutes of 115 db to cause hearing damage. Above 120 db causes damage in less than 15 seconds. If it doesn't seem loud to you anymore, then I (and most of the people on the forum) are about 99.99% sure that you have some hearing loss. My advice is to get to a hearing center just to be sure and see what kind of damage is there (If any). My bet is that you will have trouble hearing 50Hz below +6 db and 150Hz below +3 db.

We're not disin' on you because of your age. More likely we are teasing you because we love noobs (@_@) and because although we love loud systems and systems that are SQ perfect, we also understand that 95% of people (teens to late 20s) tend to think they can listen to loud music non-stop and not have to worry about it for a long time.

Let me ask you this, would you stand next to a guy firing a .45 magnum without wearing hearing protection? Mags SPL is usually around 130-136 depending on the casing.

So we'll rib ya a bit, but the truth is, most (if not all) of us believe in the safety of an install. That includes your ears.

As for your grades, good job and keep up the good work, but listen to us veterans and "old foagies" Some of us (no names of anyone in particular) used to be like you and now we face the results.

Good Luck!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
Are we sure he can even hit 130db? I know someone with two Rockford P1 12's at full potential and it's not THAT loud. When I had a single Brahma 12 a few years back it was easily louder but then again twice the power. Can the P2's be much louder than P1's?
Edit ----
By twice the power I meant my RMS was twice his MAX subs? - Page 2 -- posted image.
Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
bellsracer wrote:

Getting your subs into ported boxes will give you an extra 3 db (twice as loud)...

that's  twice the power(electrical), not twice as loud, twice as loud will be like 10dB. 

Shaking The Neighborhood
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
The P2's are a lil louder than the P1s...One friend of mine has two P1 12's and the other had two P2 12's...the P2's were only slighty louder but hit the lower end stronger
Cheaper way to go right now is to try out a nicely build ported box for your subs...cheaper than buying a new sub or two
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 2:38 AM / IP Logged  

so do i have to go around with earplugs in my ears all the time xD. and fine i lied!!!!!!!!!! i maxed out at 129.7db's, my bad. as for my amp i did have a rockford fosgate...... forgot product number and dont wanna go look it up, but some dink broke into my car and stole that amp, a soundstream amp (for front and rear speakers, better SQ then deck) and two decks that i had in the car. so after that i got a cheap deck from a friend and i am using my brother crappy insignia amp, says 320rms x 1 bridged 4 ohm i believe, but ya never know. when goin from the rockford to the insagnia you can here alot more distortion at high volumes so i have to turn down the gain and adjust the fq. again about the hearing i dont want to be deaf when im 20, but i love music, do i have to drive around with earplugs or sumthing lol. i more like the feel of the bass. (when ur looking at a sign and it moves to the beat xD)

btw thanks for the compliment on my grades, i used to not care about it and jus snuck by but im getting my stuff together.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
I owuld say get yourself a good stong amp again before you worry about upgrading your subs.   The get together with a couple friends..go to home depot or similar, buy some MDF (wood) some screws and caulk, and build your self a new box.
Look on rockfords site for reccomended ported enclsurers for those subs, I know I have built a few at 2-2.25cu ft ported to 34hz and they sounded pretty good
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for the help but as i said before i am selling my rockfords in a couple of weeks so a buddy of mine. its my birthday in a couple of weeks so i am buying myself a new system. if the total cost goes over what i have my parents will loan me the money till my next paycheck. i was asking everyone about good subwoofers they have seen as for the best i have seen/heard are my buddys kicker compvs 12's and they where alright. thanks for the help otherwise and if my buddy doesnt buy them for some reason everything you have all said will help alot. thanks guys

Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
If you insist on driving around (or just parked) with the music turned up really loud, then yes, wear earplugs. Although that won't completely stop the destruction to your hearing, it's a step in the right direction. Otherwise, the best thing you can do is...is......<wait for it>......TURN IT DOWN! subs? - Page 2 -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
jonathancullen 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i guess ur right xD, i tried wearing earplugs and it sounded funny lol, i couldnt really hear highs and not all the lows. i could still feel it so that was cool, i guess my hearing is more important then music. ohhhh yeah btw i jus tested my subs and i only hit 127.6 =(. going from a rockford amp to an insignia make a big difference.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
Well duh...Insignia needs to stick with making home audio doodie
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic