icon

SQ 6.5 Component Set Recomendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

I am looking for a SQ oriented set of 6.5" Component speakers.  i have heard the Polk MOMO series and they sound pretty good to me, but I haven't had the opportunity to listen to many other component sets.  I want them to be able to get semi-loud, but SQ is the #1 concern, with volume being second.  I want to spend about 225-275 dollars.  They will be amplified by an amp that I will choose later.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.  The speakers will be going in a 2001 dodge Neon.

There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Morel Tempo 6 retail 299.00. The polks DO sound great as well.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well id roccomend a crapload of components but the price range is very limiting in my eyes. Focal access series would be in that area though. Blows anything polk can offer out of the water.
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2006 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I've personally never gotten the opportunity to hear some Focal's in action. I really don't care if they're not THE best but I want a pair REALLY bad.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  

Morel and Eclipse should make this short list as well.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  
Ive spent many an hour listening to all of the component sets and brands that I could. Focal is just the best from my experiences. Even the bottom of the barrel focals (access series) are way beter than the top of the line eclipse, alpine, infinity, polk, even most MB quarts. Focals are expensive for a reason. They spent lost of money in the reserach of auido and apply it to all of their speakers. A huge chunk of the technology goes into their passive crossovers. I will never stray away from my focals. The funny thing is that once you upgrade from the access series you will never go back to those either.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
tcss can confirm if this was the tweeter I just bought from him. If not, Bob, can you confirm the model for them?
In all honesty, you owe yourself a listen to the JL Audio VR Series separates... At Bob's shop, a set of these absolutely blew me away... Smooth mids, VERY respectable mid-bass, soaring, smooth highs. Find a set, and listen to them!
Additionally, I liked the VR's soft-dome tweeter, and as good as the flagship ZR's sound, I heard a small (but commentable) suck-out at the crossover frequency. That notwithstanding, the metal domes of the ZR systems could possibly convert me to metal domes. Not likely, but if there WERE a metal dome that could do it, this would be in that very short-list.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
Boston Acoustics deserve a serious look as well.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
josh1979 
Silver - Posts: 320
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2006 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  

diamond audio D3 6.5 are some nice speakers that fall in you price range

on another note if you are installing them in the factory locations in the S10 i would  budget in some money to seal up the inside door skin to keep the rear wave of the speaker from meeting the front. because i dont care how good the speakeres you buy are thay will only sound as good as the install will allow.

happy hunting

bring back the rotary phone so i dont have to press 1 to proceed in english
dasmodul 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2006 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
There are many great SQ speakers.
Rainbow
Focal
MB Quart
Boston Acoustics
are great, great brands. It also depends on what kind of sound you like. Just like subwoofers, there isn't one speaker that does everything well. I personally have very high end Rainbows and they are the best sounding 3-way components I've ever heard. I listened to Focal's and they weren't for me. They are great sounding speakers for vocals etc. Rainbows are more colored and have sharper edges. Both represent the best there is. All the other brands listed are great too. Depends on budget. You can buy Rainbow reference series for $7000 a pair or some decent MB Quarts for $220.
-2cents
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic