icon

whats the best way to wire 6 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skylark 
Copper - Posts: 191
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Im looking at all the search engines, and no subwoofer wireing guide has an list for 6 subs. The one on here does but not for dvd, so how should i wire 6 2ohm dvc subs? i want to try to get to either 2 ohms or 1 ohms. And i have 2 amps i can use, one is the massive audio 3000 watt one and i have an old earthquake 5000 watt am. Both our one ohm stable and im gonna use the one that works best
goingcrazyonsound
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
give me a minute and I'll see what I can do
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

wvsquirrel wrote:
give me a minute and I'll see what I can do

thanks

goingcrazyonsound
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  
3 2ohm woofers to each amp could get you 1.33ohms
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
If you try to wire all 6 to 1 amp you will get either:
(6) 2ohm DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel / Parallel: 0.167ohms
whats the best way to wire 6 subs -- posted image.
or
(6) 2ohm DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel: 0.7ohms
Unless your amp is sub-1ohm stable, then I suggest taking coppellstereo's advice and use both amps with (3) subs per amp like this:
(3) 2ohm DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel: 1.33ohms
*Images courtesy of JL Audio and Rockford Fosgate*
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  

There is another option if you wish to use only one amp. unfortunatly I don't have those diagrams like wvsquirrel, those are sweet but I will tell you how. wire the DCV's parallel so each is 1 ohm. Now series three of them together, which will be a total impedance of 3 ohms. Now do the same with the other 3.  You now have another set of subs with 3 ohms total impedance. Parallel these together and you will have 1.5 ohms, which is more then safe to use with a 1 ohm stable amp. In addition this setup will help it run a little cooler if for daily use and still be plenty loud. Now all this goes out the window if you are not using a mono amp as a stereo amp bridged to this load will operate at under 1 ohm causing heat issues and protection mode kick in.  I am not the biggest fan of running multiple subs in series (the circuit I gave is a parallel/series/parallel) as I have heard at an RTTI (rockford technical training institute)seminar I attended that it  may affect dampening ability in a negative way. However, this will work and if you supply enough power I am sure this will sound fine and I have done it this way before. Sometimes you gotta work with what ya got and bend the rules, as long as it's safe. I am also not a fan of running anything at 1 ohm, even if an amp is capable since the impedance can drop so low while operating (we all know the impedance goes up and down while operating, right?) that it is too close to a short for comfort and will always run hot, heat causes damage, damage = money which most people I know don't have enough, myself included.. For competition that is a different story as back in the day I would sometimes run down to as low as 1/2 ohm (plenty of cooling nessecary) and with the right amp you could be in a 0-100 watt power class but actually be producing 800 watts RMS at .5 ohms. One of my demo vehicles had 11 speakers running off one amp...2 subs, 4 rear fill, 4 front and a center channel and I hand built all the crossovers.  

Everything on this post reply is my opinion and from experience so please no one argue with me, I promise I am nice and know what I am doing...well at least most of the time.

wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not an expert, but I still feel like an idiot for missing that *laughing* If I did it right, here's the diagram:
(6) 2ohm DVC drivers: 1.5ohms
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like you did it right..  parallel/series/parallel is what I see. I may know ohms law like the back of my hand but I wish I had the talent to do diagrams like that. when I worked at the school I had to write a textbook and they hired some computer art geek to do all the diagrams. Now I am writing another book since I left the school I was too nice and gave up my royalties. I am now going to have to figure out how to do the art on my own as I have no way of paying anyone else and the few friends I have that can do this are too lazy to help me, or do anything for that matter. Have a good one.
wvsquirrel 
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
No offense, but I hope you don't expect to get the listed ratings for either amplifier.
The Massive Audio 3000 watt amp is listed at 3000x1@2ohms.
The Earthquake 5000 watt amp is also listed at 3000x1@2ohms.
Neither of the amps were listed at 1ohm stable. Which means if you try ANY of the wiring diagrams I listed above, you run a severe risk of damaging the amp(s) as well as the subs.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
skylark 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2006 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

wvsquirrel wrote:
No offense, but I hope you don't expect to get the listed ratings for either amplifier.
The Massive Audio 3000 watt amp is listed at 3000x1@2ohms.
The Earthquake 5000 watt amp is also listed at 3000x1@2ohms.
Neither of the amps were listed at 1ohm stable. Which means if you try ANY of the wiring diagrams I listed above, you run a severe risk of damaging the amp(s) as well as the subs.

i could have swore the massive audio amp is stable at one ohm. I bought it used, but it was always ran at 2 ohms, and for the earthquake amp, it is stable at one ohms. Now im not gonng use both amps, not the same. Just the one that is best for the job of running both subs.

goingcrazyonsound
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic