icon

Remote start on a carb

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ottomoto 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
has anyone used a remote start on a carb. vehicle? i want to put remote start on it but i dont know if it will work if anyone knows anything let me know
caraudio904 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
I put one on a few cars. The last one was a 1969 Electra 225 (The Deuce). It works but the thing is it never worked unless we had previously started the car for the day. It ended up getting switch to throttle body because it was one of our show cars
Southern Stylez
Jacksonville, FL 32218
Qinstaller 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  
I did it once using a door lock actuator and some relays to pump the gas twice during start.
MECP Cert.
18 years Exp.
Support your local Installer
Still love what I do! :)
caraudio904 
Copper - Posts: 115
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
That hilarious!! never never ever ever never thought of that. Would have never i don't think. Wow now I've got to find a place to use that. Whats your first name Qinstaller? so I can give credit if I ever do it
Southern Stylez
Jacksonville, FL 32218
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  

yes I have.

Use an aftermarket cruise control diaphram to set the choke.

However, if it's a manual transmission all bets are off. i don't want my name or reputation attached to anyone that can have thier vehicle drive through the display window of Macy's simply by accidently leaning on a remote button and forgot to set the parking brake.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  

oh and one more thing. Most carb. vehicles will not have a vss wire.

so we wire tied a small piece of metal (conductor) to the drive shaft and set up a coil of wire in a position so that it would pass through it's field creating magnetism, in turn inducing a voltage the would increase with the speed of the drive shaft.

It was "ghetto" 101...but it worked for us.

If Im explained this wrong I am sorry...I am druuk.   ops drunk

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
Back many years ago before they had EFI, remote starts would come with a plate that mounted on the carb mounting studs and had a solenoid mounted on it that would pump the gas once before starting. It was more like a trunk popper than a door lock type solenoid. This was back in the 80's, man am i old....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

One thing....OOPSSSSS  I was not myself last night (morning) lol'

you do not need a vss on a remote start...DOH!

however I did use this technique when doing aftermarket cruise controls on older vehicles. Had to calibrate the voltage at speed... but it worked.

You only need a tach wire (most older cars especially) although you can try it tachless.

If you can rig a solenoid, or diaphram, actuator etc to set the choke and pump some gas it should work on a carbed vehicle.

The tach wire is simply found on older vehicles by using the negative side of the ignition coil.

Hope I helped.

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct Mike M2. I too did many installs back in the olden days on carb vehicles. Ottomoto, don't use a door lock actuator as they aren't designed for this and don't return to their resting position. Use a power trunk solenoid. They are designed to pull a heavy load and will return to their resting position. You will need to use a pulse before start to activate the solenoid. This will pump the throttle once and set the carb to high idle. You may also want to try and use a free channel from your remote start to also pulse the solenoid. This way you can give the throttle an extra shot if needed or take the carb out of high idle. Make sure that you fuse the lead to the solenoid. Having a high current wire near a fuel source is unsafe if not done correctly.
sparky
ottomoto 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
is there a way that you might draw me a diagram of how it should be done i have a viper 550 but i am fixing to get the VIPER 791XV so i would like to set that up to work
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic