icon

Remote start on a carb

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
It is pretty easy in regards to wiring. The soleniod has either one or two wires. If it has only one, then you must mount it to a piece of metal that is grounded. If it has two wires one is ground and the other requires a fused 12 volt source. I would suggest fusing it at 15 amps. Use a relay to supply the current to the solenoid. Terminal #87 to the solenoid, #30 to a fused (15 amp)source of 12 volts, # 86 to #30, #85 to a negative output from your remote starter that pulses before start. This will cause the solenoid to activate once to pump a shot of gas into the carb. The solenoid I am thinking of comes from Audiovox. I can't remember what the part number is, something like PROTRNK. You will need to mount it close to the carb's throttle. Mount it directly behind in the direction that the throttle cable pulls towards (usually towards the firewall). Securely fasten the solenoid to the motor somehow and then attach the cable from the solenoid to the throttle. You will have to adjust the mounting and cable till you get the correct amount of throttle pull. Be very careful not to allow the solenoid or cable to cause the throttle to bind or stick under normal driving conditions. I hope this helps.
sparky
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2006 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
My question is, I never did one on a carb before so bear with me, why can't you just let the car crank once and then it should have the gas to start on the second go around. Or is my thinking incorrect.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

That will work if the car is warmed up..you turn if off it will remote start again 9 out of 10 times.

The problem occurs when you need it most. Cold mornings. Without the choke set and plenty of fuel in the bowls you get a "lean " condition and it won't start.

Hope that helped you.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

another idea. I have never done this before but it is feasible.

If you have an electric choke already, can buy an electronic choke conversion for you present carb, or replace it with an aftermarket electric choke carb, you may be able to use a timer.

Use a spare channel of the 791 to activate the timer. The timer can use a relay to send current thru the choke coil and heat it, in turn causing it to close.

I still can't guarantee there will be enough fuel in it to start on a very cold morning (I live in SO. Florida so no issue here) but it is another possible option.

If you have to buy a new carburator this may not be the cheapest way out, but perhaps it is a bit safer then rigging a solinoid to the throttle of your car..(I can see the headlines now)...lol

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
The solenoid only duplicates what you yourself do out of habit on a cold morning. You mash the gas pedal once before trying to start the car. As mentioned, it sets the carb into a high idle position and gives one good shot of gas into the engine.
sparky
ottomoto 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

to me the solenoid is the only way that it would work efficiently and i was looking at mine and i had a cruise control hooked up but it doesnt work so there is already a place to hook a cable to it

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

IF you really want to do this it seems the solinoid wins by publc opinion. I would go for it.

As stated make safety a key concern and as a byproduct the reliability will also improve. don't just "rig" it up. Make sure nothing can bind or come loose and that no wires can ever short out (I believe this was mentioned before but just emphasizing this crutial point)

Best of luck, no reason it shouldn't work but keep us posted.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hey..see if the cruise control servo still works (not much to it as long as the diaphram is not ruptured or froze up)

Done it that way in the past although I will admit, the solinoid will be very easy to do. They work well.

Just giving another possible option. However I forgot how I got the servo to pull and release but it operates on vacuum. If you couldn't figure it out I would need to dig though some old notes to help. I think an addition part is needed to electrically switch vacuum on/off to the servo.

ottomoto 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2006 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
i think i am just going to look for a solenoid that will suit my needs but it may not happen for a while
johnnga 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:

Hey..see if the cruise control servo still works (not much to it as long as the diaphram is not ruptured or froze up)

Done it that way in the past although I will admit, the solinoid will be very easy to do. They work well.

Just giving another possible option. However I forgot how I got the servo to pull and release but it operates on vacuum. If you couldn't figure it out I would need to dig though some old notes to help. I think an addition part is needed to electrically switch vacuum on/off to the servo.

I don't mean to be a killjoy on the vacuum servo... but, won't most (or all) vacuum be leaked down by the time you need to remote start?

I vote for the trunk popper. My 2 cents, anybody correct me if I am worng.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic