icon

Remote start on a carb

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

I don't remember. This was done at the first shop I ever worked at and I was just learning the industry. Perhaps I am confusing it with an aftermarket cruise control install, or maybe it had a canister that held the vaccum or built up during crank, just can't remember, too many years of inhaling resin and adhesives..lol.

Maybe it was an electric servo, I still can't remember, But agreed, the solinoid seems to be the easiest and economical way and should be safe if installed properly.

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
I did this on my 87 cutlass. I ended up using a trunk pop soleniod and connected it to the cruise control servo. The cruise control was linked up to the carb, so when the solenoid pulled on the servo, it pulled on the throttle. And since I didnt connect it directly to the carb, I didnt worry about it being too close. It was right next to the power brake booster. I wired up a relay to the remote start's status output wire. So when the remote start was triggered, it pulsed the throttle for a second right befor cranking. But it still didnt work all the time I'd say it worked 95% of the time. When it was cold, like 30's or below it didn't work. But now since the car was flooded by Katrina it doesnt work at all. Oh well. But I wanna eventually restore that car again.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2006 at 1:43 AM / IP Logged  

katrina sux !!  sorry to hear about your flood damage. I am in south florida and wilma and several other bad hurricances did plenty of damage as well, but we didn;t have the flood you did.(no levies down here, we are at sea level, not below. 

Anyhow, I knew there was a way to use the servo, just didn't remember how. Guess 95% is better then nothing and it seems to me like a safer way. But any good installer could do the trunk pull in a safe manner I would hope. A few friends down here drive older chevys, impalas and caprices are all tricked out. Because it is so hot here they will usually remote start without any mods once warmed up for most of the day. However, rarely will they remote start fresh in the AM.

Good luck with the resto.

CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
You are correct. Most of the time when its hot outside the remote start worked flawlessly. I didnt even put the soleniod on until more than a year later. As long as my car was running I could remote start up again up to 5-6 hours later. Any longer than that, or overnight, the gas pedal had to be pumped. And in cold weather it rarely remote started. But after I installed the soleniod, it would remote start 100% pf the time if the temp outside was at least 70 or higher. Cooler and cold weather is really the only time it had any problems. So to get the AC going, it works fine, but to get the heater going in cold weather.... hardly ever started.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic