icon

My findings on sub placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 4:13 AM / IP Logged  
Today I experimented with different sub placements in my extended cab pick-up. I built a 1.07 ft^3 sealed box for a single 10" sub. So that's what I had to play with. I played a single sine wave tone to keep things simple. After spending a few hours in the truck, I concluded, that to maximize your output you need two things:
1) Turn your sub AWAY from you. If you keep it facing you or even playing up at the ceiling, the output is A LOT LESS. My ears tell me there must be at least a 10 dB difference when the sub faces you...a little less when it plays at the ceiling.
2) Place the sub as far away from you as possible. I noticed this before too. Even my front components would output much more bass if you sit at the rear seat. I placed my sub on the rear seat facing the rear wall, and seating in the driver seat and leaning over, increased an audible amount of dB! I remember when I had a 2dr Prelude, I had a sub in the trunk facing the rear of the trunk. When I sat in the rear sit, I would get significantly less bass. I didn't think of it much then, but now I know for a fact that bass gets louder the further you're away from it.
So if you're thinking about sticking a sub right in your face...you will only lose. I know this for a fact too.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Yep vbel, your findings are pretty typical, although every installation can be different.  It has to do with physics and the wavelength of subwoofer frequencies.  For example, a 50Hz sound wave is approximately 22 feet long, so to be able to hear the peak of that sound wave you need to be about 22 feet from the speaker.  Good for you to try different speaker placements and discover what works best in your installation.
Support the12volt.com
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
My question to vbel would be, where do you go to get your ears tuned to pick up a 10db or greater difference? Just asking...My findings on sub placement -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
my hearing is so bad, i probably couldn't notice a 50dB difference.My findings on sub placement -- posted image.
Your ears are fine. I think its that thing between em thats malfunctioning... My findings on sub placement -- posted image.
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:

it's nice to see people actually get in there and experiment insted of just asking what other people think. great job. but a 10dB difference?

I was in the driver's sit and the sub was on the passenger sit facing me. Then I turned it away from me to the door, and it became about twice as loud, which is what 10dB is, I believe. Of course I'm not an SPL meter, but that's an approximate figure. It was at least twice as loud I should say.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  
3dB gain would be doubling of power, not doubling of volume, which is 10dB. And from my findings, it didn't have much to do with bouncing it off something or not. If I bounce it off the door by facing it to the door, and come bring my head up close to the sub, I would lose volume! And I'm sure it has something to bounce off when it faces me, and the door behind me.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Another thing I forgot to say, is when the sub is facing the door, away from me, and tilting it slightly up would cause volume loss. I doubt the door's window had anything to do with it. You just need 180 degrees to make the most of it. Now it will be interesting to see if this tilt has the same effect in the trunk, because I see so many boxes made with a tilt.
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
power isn't measured in dB's you know. if someone hit 120dB and then hit 123dB, their sound is twice as loud.
I don't know where you got this from. Power isn't measured in dB, but what happens when you double the power? How many dB's do you gain? Also, if you have a home receiver that displays volume in dB, then you know for sure there is just a slight change in volume when you turn it up by 3dB.
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
power isn't measured in dB's you know. if someone hit 120dB and then hit 123dB, their sound is twice as loud.
Decibel
~wirewise~
vbel 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2006 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
nouseforaname wrote:
the "tilt" as you called it, which i assume you're refering to an angle in the box, is to reduce the standing waves inside the box.
Low frequency waves are too long for a small car audio box to develop in. This isn't an issue.
nouseforaname wrote:
half power is the point at which the low frequency system acheives a -3dB down point. again, power is not measured in dB's.
I never said it is measured in dB. I agree with "half power = -3dB" formula.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic