icon

Avic N2 display and faceplate problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fuzzynuts96813 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

Can't say for sure yet. I broke a microswitch that tells the unit that the face has come out of the unit, so the screen won't tilt up or work. I can tell you that the faceplate buttons work now and the LCD display at the top of the the touchscreen is working. Joe at Pacific Coast Parts reconfirmed that the cable ribbon  will fix the touchscreen display.

If "I am an Idiot" is reading this, post me a note if you know the part number of the microswitch I need (If that's what I really need)

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Fuzzy    I do not have a manual for that deck. 

Are you sure you broke the microswitch?

I have never had one with the symptoms you were having not be fixed by the cable.   I would go back through it and make sure you didn't leave a plug unplugged, and check to make sure the connection of the ribbon cables are all squared with the connector they are plugged into.  Now thinking about it it has to be the little leg of the cable the big one is for the LCD and the little 10 or 12 conductor one has to be for the switches and sensors.  Check that and if you can't get it PM me and let me know where you are located.

fuzzynuts96813 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

Just to update and finalize this topic. I ordered the new microswitch from PacParts and finally installed it.

PERFECTION!!!

Everything works; the LCD, the Touchscreen, and all the faceplate buttons...

Thanks Again to this AWESOME site and everyone who posts. You are all very professional.

Anyone need advice on this topic PM me, I kinda feel like a pro now.

smiledrs 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2007 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

I had the same problem. No buttons work except eject and the screen went dead. I just got an email from Pioneer concerning a recall. Here is the link. .

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/top/cat/article/0,,2076_310069579_395713842,00.html

For those that paid for one, they may reimburse you

steve2112 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

I am having the same problem - buttons on the face plate do not work if the LCD is open, but if it is closed they do work (except for the joystick - song forward & back - it does not work).

I received the letter from Pioneer as well in early January - funny that the problem happened to my 2 weeks after I got the letter.

I purchased and had mine installed at Circuit City, so next Saturday they are going to remove it and send it to their facility for repair.  They were not aware of this issue with the AVIC, and I was wondering if Pioneer supplies them with the updated part, or MUST the unit be shipped to Pioneer by Circuit City for the flex cable repair?

What should I tell the install guys when I bring the car in next Saturday?  I planned on printing the letter to give to them so they can see the issue (it only mentions a blanking screen, which mine does not do, my buttons do not work with the flip-LCD opened) - and I was also going to print this thread out to show them.

I just want the problem fixed for good, and I want to make sure the new updated part is installed,  and not some left-over cable like the one sold in this thread.

I would appreciate any pointers in getting my AVIC N2 fixed for good while I still have the PSP warranty at Circuit City, even though this is Pioneer's fault - at least the process of removing the head unit is the responsibility of Circuit City under the warranty......

Thanks for any pointers!

fuzzynuts96813 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
Check out the website that smiledrs posted above. It says the repair can only be done by an authorized station. Call them first. (Good Luck getting.) If I were you I would pull the unit out myself (head unit only) to keep from getting charged by circuit city. It's usually pretty easy depending on your vehicle. You definitely have the cable ribbon problem though. Let us know how things went.
Keep Free Speech Free
steve2112 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  

The thing is that I have a warranty for the unit via Circuit City, so they are going to fix it for free, I am just concerned that they may have "old" stock of flex cables at their repair facility, and from what I have read from Pioneer you HAVE to send it to them for the fix - does that mean that Circuit City will pull out the unit, send it to their facility to repair, and then send it out to Pioneer?  I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but I still have my warranty....I just want it fixed with the new upgraded flex cable, and I don't know how to convey this to the store when they remove my unit to ship to their repair facility....

That's basically my question and desire - from what I have read, only Pioneer can do the fix, so I don't know what will happen when Circuit City's repair facility gets my unit.  I was hoping to see something posted here that I could print out and show the install techs so they know it's a wide spread problem (I also have the Pioneer letter) - and that it needs the new Pioneer flex cable.... but perhaps I am paranoid of the repair, and maybe they already know about the issue and have these flex cables from Pioneer at their facility.

I don't want the problem to reappear down the road again if they use an old flex cable in stock (if there is such a thing as Circuit City stocking the Flex cables @ the repair center)....

Do you think I will make out all right, or should I have them remove it, and ship it to Pioneer myself?  In that case I would have to pay for the shipping & insurance - which should really be covered and fixed by Circuit City.

If any one has any info I should give them Saturday,  I will print out this thread with that info that may help in getting my unit fixed with the new flex cable under my Circuit City warranty.

Thanks, Steve

hotmilk400 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  

i think i would of thrown that screen across the room.. your lucky you have more patients then me.. :-)... glad u got it to work

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic