icon

Bass to mids fill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
prodigal 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

I was wondering that with my system i am tuned to below 35 hz cause i have 3 low pass filters set to 35 hz. When i play music i can sense a gap between the bass and the midrange. I want to fill in this gap. I recently purchased a pair of 6 X 9s and 5.5 inch seald basket speakers for my mids. I am thinking of putting these in a very small (just enough space for the speakers) well seal box so that it would be able to handle the lower bass frequencies with little distortion. Will this set up work or are there any other ideas to help me with the fill effect?

Prodigal Son
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
By the way the 6 X 9s have a frequencly response of 35 - 20k Hz and the sealed basket 5.5" is 600 - 6k Hz. I run an EQ with a designated sub woofer channel and 30 Hz x-over, a soundstream BX-10 bass maximizer with the low pass filter at 35 Hz so i'm basically running the mids and tweeters full range.
Prodigal Son
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
IMO 35Hz is WAY too low for your subwoofer crossover.  Raise that up to about 80Hz.  Your 6X9's probably only respond with useful SPL down to about 100Hz or so.  Adding an enclosure to the 6X9s will do little if anything to improve their bass response.  If you raise your sub crossover and still feel like you need more, dedicated mid-bass drivers in kick panels is a popular solution.
Support the12volt.com
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
i have tried running 6 X 9s without a box and i find that the cone starts to move violently causing too much distortion and very little mids output. The fill i'm looking for is only inside the vehicle not on the outside. I love the low frequencies but i understand where you are coming from with raising the x-over point. I'm working on retuning the subs using winisd to 25 Hz which would give me a flat response from 40 - 100 Hz and boost 35 Hz at -3 db. I'll give it a try to see what happens. Thanks 
Prodigal Son
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
No matter what you do, as long as you are only using the subwoofers in the first octave (below 40Hz) they will never add fill into the bass region, and lowering your enclosure tuning will do nothing at all for your missing bass.  Raise your sub crossover an octave or so and see what happens.  Oh, and in your first message you state you have "3 low pass filters set to 35 hz."  What exactly does this mean and what are you trying to accomplish?
Support the12volt.com
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
My bad i sain filters when i meant x-overs. I just love low frequency bass and it's more pleasing to the ear- more sound than vibration. Plus i believe it travels further. However it's really messed up at high volumes i sometomes get ringing ears and headaches but i don't crank it up that often. When i used to run at 40 hz i had too much rattling in the car and don't feel like investing in sound dampening material cause i haven't got a vehicle i will keep for long yet.
Prodigal Son
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
it sounds like you know what you want but are not willing to do whats neccessary to achieve the desired results. If this is the case then why are you looking for help?
prodigal 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
ok let me explain what i want to know- i've seen these speaker protectors/bass boomers on sale for about $5 for the pair. I was planning on getting a set for my 6X9s but the reviews said they were very flimsy and damage easily. Reviews also said that these thing increase the bass output of the speakers and actually made them play better. These protectors seem to be just a covering and just act like placing the 6X9s in a seald enclosure. The last time i tried 6X9s as mids i found they had too much distortion when allowed to stay in free air so if i placed them in a sealed box what would be the difference. Presently for my mids the 150 Hz knob has to be all the way down to -dbs for the mids to play properly. If i could get this frequency to ply without distortion then i could have some bass to mids fill ok. My bass section is as i want it already it's just the mids frequencies i want to play without any distortion. Thanks
Prodigal Son
DYohn 
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

IMO 6X9 speakers are some of the worse sounding you can possibly use.  If you like them, then great, but a good quality 6.5" coax or component set will blow them away - in general.  If you are using your 6X9s as your mains and crossing them at 150Hz (a good idea, by the way) you have a huge "hole" between 35Hz and 150Hz, which means you have no low bass in your system.  Not a good setup at all.  You really need to consider dedicated mid-bass drivers.  I suggest a good set of 6.5 or 7" woofers in kick panels in the front of your vehicle, driven by their own stereo amp crossed between your sub and mains.. 

As far as your sub-bass, you are robbing yourself of most of what your woofers can do by crossing them so low.  There is VERY little information below 40Hz.  If crossing them properly at 80 to 100Hz results in too much rattling, etc. then you need to improve your installation.

Support the12volt.com
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2006 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

prodigal, the reason why your 6x9s in free air distorted is most likely due to poor tuning. are you using a factory deck or aftermarket? If its factory, adjust the fader so that it is front side bias. the rear speakers are only for rear fill. if its aftermarket, dont adjust the bass so its maxing out. in fact, you really should keep it at 0 or in the middle.

A sealed enclosure is definitely NOT what you want for the 6x9s. Like it has been mentioned already, you will lose all bottom end from the speakers. this will create a gap in the frequencies. You need to turn your subs up to atleast 80hz and invest in some sound dampener. that will take care of all of your rattles. Everything you have told us so far tells me that you have a poor install and dont want to do the proper steps to make it sound great. Great sound takes time and money. it is an investment that will yield you great results in the end if you take the time to do it right. Im not trying to put you down, just tell you the truth.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic