icon

Inverted or regular mount

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
allmet33 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

In a sealed box, I have found that mounting a sub inverted has advantages over mounting it regularly.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing the same in a ported box, or does it matter?

'06 Hyundai Azera - Pioneer FH-P4200MP / Factory center channel & tweeters / Infinity Kappa 62.7i's; all 4 doors, 2 Phoenix Gold Xenon 10D2 10" subs pushed w/Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

If by "inverted" you mean "magnet side out" the only real difference should be the added internal airspace of the enclosure since the speakers physical displacement is now outside.

I can't imagine this making a difference sealed or vented other then that, regardless of which way the speaker faces it is still basically an "air pump", so if the cone moves..so will air.

Hope I helped.

Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Agreed with master5. It is for the most part an aesthetic thing. Even with internal airspace (and the sub in question), many times you will only gain .1 cu ft of airspace by having the driver inverted. I know that sometimes space is limited...but IMO, having the sub inverted in this situation causes more space issues since the sub takes up more physical space when inverted than true airspace. Having it stick out can be more space challenging than making the box the size you need with the sub mounted normally.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

Agreed w/ Flakman as well, however, have you seen the size of some of the subs out there today?....Gi...Normous.

So yes, although you gain some airspace in the enclosure by "flipping" the sub, the amount depending on the size of the subs basket/magnet assembly, you now have a magnet and basket taking up physical space in your vehicle (seems too obvious to even mention)

But, IMO,  on many subs it does look "cool".

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

It probably seems like more since by looking at it, it appears to take up a ton of space. But really it is a frame, which is mostly empty space so that with the magnet size is what you would lose.

I guess the best way to measure this would be to fill a bucket at least the size of the sub basket/magnet assembly to the very top with water. Put that bucket into a larger empty container. Place the sub into the bucket until it is flush with the mounting surface. Pour the water that spilled into the other bucket into a measuring cup. Convert it to cubic inches, divide by 1728, and you'll have your answer.

Nouse..I did the last experiment, your turn. do this with a type R or one of those FUBAR's and post the results please. Or better yet one of those really huge SPL 5000 watt subs..you really think those would only use  .06 cubic ft?

Flakman 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yep...it does look cool. Just have to hide the speaker cable. It is an impressive display...I wouldn't mind having my T1s inverted, but they sit in boxes til I get a different vehicle.
The Flakman
John | Manteca, CA
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

Put them in the water bucket first...that should helpInverted or regular mount -- posted image.

My customers don't seem to have much trouble blowing the type r or the fubars. But I know many of them mess with the gains...probably because I specifically tell them not too, and that I won't honor the warranty if they do. But, you know how it goes. I guess I need to put a dab or 2 of CA glue over the hole..lol

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Ok Flakman, put strip neon on the speaker wires and route them in  a fancy "swirl"  lol kidding. (but sure it's been done).

I usually use nice heavy pretty colored speaker wires and run them back into the enclosure by the subs terminals. Makes em look nice when inverting.

I also like to "flip-flop" subs if the cone is also impressive, but usually only the backside is.

Flakman 
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

master5 - that would actually work good. I've always found the strip neon to have a high pitch whine when plugged in. Any brands that don't?

btw - your paragraphs are MUCH easier to read Inverted or regular mount -- posted image. 

The Flakman
John | Manteca, CA
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

I can't really reccomend a particular brand. I doubt if noise would enter through the speaker wires although it is possible I guess,some neon have fairly high AC voltage.

But most likely the leakage would enter through the signal or voltage. Perhaps experimenting with the location of the transformer can help. I don't really use neon to light up the speaker wires..that was a joke although it could be a pretty cool effect...I usually use neon or leds to light up an amp rack/underglow or plexi enclosure. Haven't had many noise problems. I use Street Glow generally since one of my best friends worked there so I am familiar with thier product.. But I can't say if it's better or worse then any other as far as radiating noise.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic