icon

2006 Dodge Ram Diesel, Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
To determine whether or not you have a transponder issue, disconnect the CHDL7-PK2 module and slide a key into the ignition cylinder but don't turn it. Now try your remote starter. If it works fine, then you have a problem with the CHDL module. If it doesn't start then you have a problem with the remote starter install.
If the red security light doesn't come on after the second key then you aren't following the instructions correctly. You must remove the plastic transponder ring off the key cylinder but still leave it plugged in. Use a key to then turn on the ignition while holding the circuit board next to the ring.
The second starter circuit in the CHDL7-PK2 module doesn't work on the Ram pick ups. They don't tell you this in the instructions though. You must use relays and resistors for the 2nd starter and accessory wires.
sparky
jacked93 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2006 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

Well I will wire up a relay for the second starter wire, what wire do I use from the Remote Start to trigger the relay for the second start?  The Remote start doesn't have a second start wire.  Would this prevent the extended run function from working?

Regarding the module programming, I am saying that I cannot get the vehicle to go into programming mode.  After I put in the first valid key the security light goes out after a few seconds, remove and insert the second key, light does the same thing, but never comes back on.  Thus I never make it to the next step.  The Check Engine light does begin to flash after about 10-15 seconds once you insert the second key though, and if you proceed with the empty key and the module after this the security light flashes for about 10-15 seconds and then a chime was heard.  I am assuming that means the module was programmed??

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
For the second starter and accessory relays, you need to activate them with the negative out when running wire to terminal #85 of each relay. You must diode isolate the negative out when running for each component hooked to it (both relays and the CHDL7-PK2 module). Install the diodes with the white band towards the remote starter. The 2nd starter relays #86 terminal goes to the remote starters starter wire. The accessory relays #86 terminal goes to the accessory wire from the remote starter. I don't know why your truck doesn't conform to the correct key programming sequence, but until you have everything else working perfect, just leave a key in the ignition (don't turn it to on) and try the remote starter. Leave the wire loop around the key cylinder unplugged from the CHDL7-PK2 module. Once you know all works well, then introduce the built in transponder portion of the module to see if it did in fact program.
sparky
jacked93 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2006 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all your help.  I will buy all the parts I need for the relays and go from there.   Is the acc necessary to start the vehicle or is it only for climate control stuff?

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
It is necessary. You must hook it up or you will have other problems besides no climate controls.
sparky
jacked93 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
I went to Radio Shack to buy the resistors, but they didn't have the exact ones that I need and I have no idea where else to buy them.  They had 550 and 150, From what I understand I need 610 and 180.  Will those work or will that not show the correct resistance and thus not activate the second start and accesory?
jacked93 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
Nevermind I bought some resistors online. 
jacked93 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

And one of my last questions, this is the diagram I have for the wiring of second start and acc, http://64.85.6.129/extrainfo/diagrams/14180_RAM-FULL-SIZE-PICKUP_CHRYSLERS%20STARTER%202%20AND%20ACCESSORY%20DIAGRAM.pdf 

1. Is it correct?

2. Do I really need to cut the wire and run the 87A back to the wire or can I just leave it intact an skip the 87a?

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
No its not correct. Split your remote starters negative out when running wire or 3rd ignition wire (ground out) into two wires each with a diode inline and the white stripe on the diode facing the remote starter. Take one end of one diode and connect it to terminal #85 of a relay. Take the other end of the other diode and connect it to the other relays terminal #85. Take one relay and call it the 2nd starter relay. Connect terminal #86 to the remote starters starter wire. If your remote starter has a 2nd starter wire ouput use it instead. If not you must also connect the trucks starter wire to this terminal. Connect # 30 to one end of a 180 ohm resistor and the other end to ground, # 87 goes to the violet/brown wire in the ignition harness. Take the second relay and connect the remote starters accessory wire to #86. # 30 to one end of a 610 ohm resistor and the other end to ground.# 87 to the violet/brown wire. Terminal 87a is not used on either relay.
sparky
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic