icon

building boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
I know that in our situations we do have people we build boxes for that are ancy and cannot wait, but also if there box is inside the cars cabin like mine if you have no trunk, and as big as my box is, and you were to use as much liquid nails as I was required to use, you better be able to roll your windows down, and HOPE you don't get pulled over. I can just see it now. . .
I'm sorry officer what did I do wrong? You were spee. . . *sniff sniff* alright buddy get outta the car, what is that smell?
lol I'm sure the officer would not be to fond of you possibly getting high while driving, not intentionally, but possibly.
I have an 8 inch P.O.S. that I had bought about 3-4 years ago, when I get a chance I will go pick up a lil box for it for about 10 bucks, and throw some L.N. in it to see if it damages it in anyway.
I am sure there is other sealants w/o as much chemicals in it, one thing I have seen used but laughed at was hot glue. That stuff comes off of MDF so easily, it isn't even funny.
Good thinking on the trunk though Sonata, I also woulda thought the same thing if I drove a car with one more than likely lol.
BTW Master 5 chill on posting so much u make me look bad, haven't even been here a month and you have more posts than me when I have been here a year!!! lol it's all good, I need to contribute some more, I hope to get a paypal soon and donate some $$$ to the12volt.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  

lol, I actually don't think I post that much but perhaps compared to others.

Who used hotglue for a box.?.thats funny. L.N. is strong to smell but I once got so messed up from spray adhesive. I was carpeting an entire back of a pickup w/ topper and basically was in this "gas chamber" for some time. I was seeing all kinds of colors and things, it wasn't healthy I am sure so I never did that again. Use a respirator. lol

I plan on donating $$$ also, but things are a little tight right now so I'll have to stick to posts as my contribution untill then.

koolauto 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the repies, think this will be a great web site for me and friends  youll be seing a lot of me  and thank you..
1qwkfox 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
I've heard many times tha the liquid nailfumes hurts subs , I find to be VERY untrue .. I just dont see how it could not to mention it has been brought up many times and alot of ppl say its untrue that have been in the business a long time.
I used to use LN to glue my boxed together but then realized after have a box or 2 come apart I needed to try something else , then I went to TITE BOND .. I dont think I will ever go back to using LN for my Joints , BUT I do still use it as sealer on the inside and its helps add that much more strength in the joints. ALSo if a box is properly brace it will help it from comming apart , Espeicaly for the every day street beating system.
Just my .02
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

So liquid nails does not damage subs but the boxes blow apart if it's used to build it? Seems to be some conflict here.

I never had either problem with wood glue, or liquid nails in that respect so guess I'll stick with how I have been doing it until proved otherwise. As far as sealing I still feel clear silicone does a great job. Been doing it this way for about 15 years with no problems, pretty good track record I'd say.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
I brought up the box combusting thing. From what ive heard (ive never actually seen it done because i let my boxes dry before I use them) is that the sealed boxes will cumbust occasionally when using liquid nails immediately after building them. you have to let the liquid nails dry for atleast an hour. overnight is usually what I do.
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
I found that even though a very strong odour that liquid nails produces thats about the only drawback to it. I myself have used it on more than 15 boxes in the last 2 years and the only complaint from people is the smell. I usually use polyurathane wood glue, even if it does cost more than standard wood glue it holds inceredibly well and when dry is sandable and paintable. As far as I can say its worth the money. Just to explain the stength it is holding a box with 4 15" Crossfire BMF subs together beter than the Honda carrying it all.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't tried the poly wood glue yet. althought strength is the main concern, how is clean up with it?  I always favored the elmers partially because it cleans up with water.

I wouldn't mind trying something I knew was stronger regardless but am curious if I need to take any other precautions if using the poly. I don't mind the extra money if it's worth it, I can just tack it on to the price of materials to make it up.

Thanks

boostedrst 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
i heard silicone is the worst thing u can use to seal a sub box . the fumes of silicone eats away at the surround really easy .
maliboom 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
The clean up isn't too bad you can use water and wipe it if it's wet and you can sand it when it's dry. I always wear vinyl disposable gloves when working with it and work clothes because it is very sticky.  I would use this glue as my first choice before any other glue. By the way it is an Elmers product and is available at Home Depot
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic