icon

Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dsrtjeeper 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

I probably should mention my goals with a different head unit. This has turned into a good discussion and I'm learning as we go.

Someone had questioned why I'm concerned with HU SQ. My rear fill speakers are powered by the HU while everything else is powered by the PDX 4.150. My system is in a very difficult '06 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. (15" longer than a regular Wrangler.)

I'm stuck with 5'1/4 components on each side of the dash and they fire at my knees!

The rear speakers pods hang from the roll bar just behind the driver and passenger head. (Overbearing and take lots of fading.)

Being stuck with 5-1/4" components really puts a damper on midrange bloom and midbass.

I figured a head unit with EQ,DSP, Time Alignment and such would help with sounstaging, boost midband and give better sound to the rears. I don't even have a loudness button on my Alpine for low volume listening. I constantly have to crank the music up to get good bass from the sub. I wish to preserve my hearing.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
Which Alpine do you have?
There is no such thing as free installation!
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
dsrtjeeper wrote:

I figured a head unit with EQ,DSP, Time Alignment and such would help with sounstaging, boost midband and give better sound to the rears. I don't even have a loudness button on my Alpine for low volume listening. I constantly have to crank the music up to get good bass from the sub. I wish to preserve my hearing.

I hate to say it, but no matter how great a headunit you have or buy, you are simply limited by the install, which includes speaker capabilities and their location. Now, that's not to say that an eq or time alignment won't help, or even make a difference, but it may not do what you are expecting it to do, simply because of install limitations and/or other factors.

Dave, I figured that you were after audio options with the dvd option. Ans I suppose you could just use the x-overs in the amps, but you know those specs are always way offWhich HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 4 -- posted image.

dsrtjeeper 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

tcss wrote:
Which Alpine do you have?

dsrtjeeper 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:
dsrtjeeper wrote:

I hate to say it, but no matter how great a headunit you have or buy, you are simply limited by the install, which includes speaker capabilities and their location. Now, that's not to say that an eq or time alignment won't help, or even make a difference, but it may not do what you are expecting it to do, simply because of install limitations and/or other factors.

Dave, I figured that you were after audio options with the dvd option. Ans I suppose you could just use the x-overs in the amps, but you know those specs are always way offWhich HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 4 -- posted image.

Agreed. That's why I'm trying to do my homework on this subject first. Thanks for your honesty. Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 4 -- posted image.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

dwarren wrote:

Crossover schmossover, just run everything full range. Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 4 -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah Dave, who would sell you that piece of junk Alpine?
There is no such thing as free installation!
dsrtjeeper 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Was reading another thread and decided to only run the front Diamond 6 series 5-1/4 components with the sub. Soundstaging is more like my home system now and the Alpine sounds fine. If I could just get a bit more of that sweet midrange and midbass; I'd be completely satisfied. I've been using the rear fill for more midbass, but it sure messes with staging.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  

dsrtjeeper wrote:
Was reading another thread and decided to only run the front Diamond 6 series 5-1/4 components with the sub. Soundstaging is more like my home system now and the Alpine sounds fine. If I could just get a bit more of that sweet midrange and midbass; I'd be completely satisfied. I've been using the rear fill for more midbass, but it sure messes with staging.

Where are the front speakers crossed over at?

dsrtjeeper 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

dsrtjeeper wrote:

Where are the front speakers crossed over at?

80hz. It's kind of confusing though as there is a crossover in the HU and on the amp. Also; on HU is a feature to widen or narrow your crossover point. There are steps 1-2-3-4. You first choose your center frequency and then choose one of the 4 positions with 4 being the widest and 1 being a narrow crossover point.

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic