icon

Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

i personally find it easy to sell pioneer but i will not own it. the problem i have with pioneer is, if you have subs when you have it turned down low, the subs are loud and as you turn it up the subs quit getting louder at some point and the mids and highs start to catch up...its wierd and maybe its me but i dont like them because of that...and it sucks how they have thier head units volume set up anyhow...62 is tops??? way too many turns of the wrist! I like alpine always have...always will...agreed that they used to have this used to have this and that built in..but now its an add on...its like everyone in electronics is going the route of IPOD you have to buy everything separate. But i know you can get an alpine add the eq that they make and you can do whatever you want from there! the thing is sick!

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
vbel 
Copper - Posts: 246
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
I think you have the Loudness option on. That's what it supposed to do anyway.
I never had noise from the 2 Pioneers I owned. My friend had one also and had no noise problems.
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2006 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

i'd have to go with alpine or eclipse. i personally own an alpine and i love it. i've owned an eclipse and loved it as well, kinda wish i still had it. i love the alpines time alignment feature but of course adjustments for correctness to the driver affect the alignment to the passanger. but it's all about me anyway since i'm in the drivers seat.Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
dsrtjeeper wrote:
I'm curious which brands or models are most prevelent when it comes to SQ installs and competitions? I would think features like time alignment, DSP, EQ, etc.. would help tweak out the sound quality and staging. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I own an Eclipse. It sounds pretty good. But the reason for this is the fact that it has a 24 bit DAC, and an external dc/dc converter. I would imagine the cd transport is fairly nice. However eclipse isn't the only great one out there, in fact there are much better ones out there. This forum has turned into an Eclipse bandwagon, every one has a boner for it.Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 3 -- posted image.
Mcintosh makes units that will out perform Eclipse. The MX 406, the older mc5000 is awesome. The Alpine f1 stuff is cool. The pioneer p9 combo is a consistent winner in sq competitions along with the Denon dct-1 with optical out, a real killer. The Clarion DRZ9255 is a very sweet unit as well. And of course there is Nakamichi. They can have some reliability issues, but there is a mod on here tha will argue that the CD700II has the best transport system to date.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:
This forum has turned into an Eclipse bandwagon, every one has a boner for it.Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 3 -- posted image.
Ow, baby... very ow. Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 3 -- posted image.
Dan is right, there are better heads out there.
In answer to the original q, for John Q. Public, not wanting (or able) to spend the money it takes to get into a Nak, Mc, or that super hi-end Clarion... Eclipse does make, IMO the best sounding HU available.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
I don't have a boner for eclipse, its just fact. I don't even sell eclipse, I do sell pioneer and I will mention that I did recently sell/install a 9800bt from pioneer. It sound great no noise ay any volume, but its like a freakin crapshoot on whether or not your going to get a whiner or not. I have sent back atleast a dozen that had the infamous whine, my distributor hates but its my reputation on the line not theirs or pioneers. As far as the other h.u you mention I am sure they are sweet, but cost and availabilty is limited.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

I agree with dwarren 100% and will add another that I recently heard and was absolutely blown away: Linn Audio.  Now only available as OEM products in some high-end cars, the Linn car audio line is supposed to become available as aftermarket gear in the US in 2007 or 2008.

That being said, I have owned all the brands Dan mentions and would class Nakamichi as far and away the best sounding head unit that is commonly available (and yes it's me, I think the CD transport and the external DAC in the CD700II are the best ever used in car audio and it's not likely to be surpassed any time soon.)  I will be able to give an opinion about the new Alpine heads with 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC, as this weekend I'm replacing my broken Eclipse CD5444 with a new Alpine DVA-9860.  I'll be sure to post my impressions after I listen for a while.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

The forum going to Eclipse is all my fault. You can blame me. David, I am very interested to hear your test results.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I will be able to give an opinion about the new Alpine heads with 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC, as this weekend I'm replacing my broken Eclipse CD5444 with a new Alpine DVA-9860.  I'll be sure to post my impressions after I listen for a while.

Why are you using that Alpine? I am sure you are aware that there are almost no audio control functions built in on that deck....unless of course you plan on using the h701, which is a pretty cool piece. And what do you have use for a DVD capable h/u?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2006 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Rob, I blame you for SO MUCH more that that.  Which HU’s do you prefer for SQ? - Page 3 -- posted image.  Seriously though, I think it is a very GOOD thing that this forum promotes high quality gear like Eclipse and tries to protect children from spending their allowance money on crap brands.  So thanks.

Dan, I have no use for any control functions other than volume in a head unit.  I decided to try the Alpine for the DAC, and went for it instead of the 9861 since I don't need iPod controls.  The DVD will be interesting since I own quite a few DVD-A's and I assume I could also load up a DVD-R with quite a few more audio tracks than a CD-R for those long commute drives.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic