icon

Upgrading to a Monsoon headunit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grandprix92 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all. I have a 1992 Pontiac Grand Prix. I recently purchased a newer GM headunit, a Monsoon MP3 player from a 2004 Grand Am.
Is it possible to make this headunit work in my car?
I spliced the factory wiring harness on the new Monsoon into my cars wiring, however, I cant seem to get it functional.
I was able to get the clock to show, and the drive makes noise when I press the CD eject button. Also, I believe the theftlock is de-activated due to the light not blinking.
On the back of the new radio, there is room for (2) connections. One, a 24pin, and the other a 12pin. Does the 12v need to be wired somewhere for my application?
Any help or insight would be helpful,
Thanks.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
I believe all the Monsoon systems use external amplifiers.  You'd be MUCH better off to dump that thing and purchase ANY good quality after-market head unit.
Support the12volt.com
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
Yup, not to mention the radio from the grand am uses a data line for turn on not a standard +12 volt trigger like what the car outputs.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
wrenches 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Not to mention that the 2004 radio will be double din and you '92 is only din and a half.
grandprix92 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the quick replys.

DYohn- I like to retain a stock look, and aftermarket isnt an option to me.
wrenches- Yes the 1992 is 1.5 din, yet I did fit this radio into proper location with rather very little modding. (The new one woulda mounted different)
cntrylvr79-Hmm interesting, do you know how many volts is applied to it, is there a solution to this?
Thanks

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2006 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
You will never get that radio to work in your car. It is a Class II data radio. To make it work, it must receive a message from the BCM from the car you took it from. It checks the serial number of the car and then allows it to work. Unless you decide to change the entire electrical system and motor from one car to another you are trying the impossible. Stop wasting your time and get another radio. Next time check to see if it will be compatible with your car, before you chop it up. Any GM radio that is a double din size is a Class II unit. The Monsoon label on the radio means nothing. It is no different than the same radio without the Monsoon writing on the front. The difference is that the Monsoon systems have an outboard amp and different speakers.
sparky
90s civ and sub 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2007 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
For the love of God, save yourself the pain & sacrificed sound quality.  Go aftermarket.  After working to bypass the "Monsuck" system in an 03 Jetta, I can safely say that Monsoon is the work of the Devil.
90 Civic DX Hatchback- 135 amp alternator
92 Suburban - 200 amp alternator
Stereo rebirth, coming soon. . . .
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2007 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

Stupidest thing i have ever read.... why for the love of car audio.... WHY?

just go get an aftermarket, it is better.

period.

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic