icon

01 Audi A4, stereo system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blacka4 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  

There is no place to bolt to on the bottom because there is a hole under the box. I thought of maybe using velcrow but that just dont seem strong enough. I also thought about magnets but that dont seem practical.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
What about behind it? Is the metal behind it the outer sheetmetal? If not, you may be able to remove the rear quarter panel and bolt it in place there. That's how mine are secured.
If it is the exterior sheet metal, you should be able to fab up a bracket to bolt it in place. In the pics you posted, it looks like there's some factory bracing there you should be able to tie into. The home improvement store should have some 14 gauge metal strip with holes already in it.
You can bend up some of this stuff with a hammer/vise pretty easily. Then just attach it to some factory bracing about where you think it should be behind the box. Slide a body nut (also available at the hardware store- Lowe's carries them, not sure about Home Depot- or go to AutoZone) over one of the holes and thread a bolt through so the end of the threads are sticking out a little bit towards the box.
Put some white-out, hand lotion, or something similar on the end of the bolt, and try to slide the box in place. If the white-out, etc. left a mark on the back of your box, you know where to drill your hole. If your box still sticks out too much (or the bolt didn't make contact), tweak the bracket until you get it right.
This is not the only way to do this, I'm just trying to explain one way of doing it, which may give you some ideas of another alternative. For example, you may instead decide to secure it underneath with a similar bracket. You may also decide to drill a hole(s) in the box first, and tweak your bracket(s) to work. Whatever you're comfortable with is fine as long as the end result means a secured enclosure. Use your imagination. I prefer to hide the mounting hardware whenever possible by bolting down from the inside, but it's all up to you.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
blacka4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2006 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

What i ended up doing is- take a piece of threaded rod, put a nut, metal washer then rubber washer, feed the box onto it then added a rubber washer, metal washer and nut. Works like a charm. Now all i have to do is run my power and tap a remote off the fuse box.

Thank all of you for your help.

Chris

geepherder 
Posted: December 23, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds good.
blacka4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Ok i am having a problem hooking up the RCA's to the rear speaker's. I found a link that told me to splice my RCA's to the left rear speaker. Here are the directions i got.

Cut rca's in half, strip 3" off the end of each lead. Twist outer bundle shielding together on both wires. Trim the common ground bundle to half an inch. You will now have a wire with 2 rca's on 1 end and three wires on the other. (Remember, one for each signal {left and right} and one for both grounds.

Connect the common ground lead to the brown wire with red stripe.

Connect the left ch. wire to the blue wire w/green stripe.

Connect the right ch. wire to the blue wire w/red stripe.

My rca's have a + & - wire along with stranded wire for each channel.

Can i get some help with this its really getting me frustrated.

geepherder 
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ignore the advice you found. While you can get sound that way, it's not the right way to do it. Running a high level (speaker level) signal into the low level (rca) inputs of an amp can easily damage the amplifier. If your amp has high level inputs, you try connecting those directly to your rear speaker leads. However, I suggest you use a quality, adjustable line out converter. Your local stereo shop should have one available for you. Explain what you're doing, and they should match you up with the right one for your application.
blacka4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

I tried the rca's 1st but after i got frustrated scraped that idea and started to hook up the LOC that i bought. I am going to try to just tap the lines at the speaker's. It's a bit confusing since the speaker system has a common ground and the LOC has 4 wires (a + & - for each line) and an additional ground. What am i supposed to hook the LOC ground too? The speaker grounds or just some metal in the trunk?

blacka4 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Disregard the post above i fixed everything and it sounds great.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic