icon

cdts, focal, id?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jasondavis05 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
I know this isn't the right place to drop this but...... If you want to try the CDT's cheep I have three sets left over from an install about a year ago. They are new in the box, never installed or wired up. They are CL-61 one set, HD-62 one set, and HD-52 one set. I can tell you that the HD's (62 and 52) will take 150 watts rms all day without a problem. I have pushed them very hard and never had a problem with the mids. Infact the xovers will cut the power by 30% when they get to hot, maybe sedate had a diffrent xover?? I don't have the grills for the 61's or 62's I'm not sure what happend to them?? Anyway if your intrested PM me or just send me an email. Thanks
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

jasondavis05 wrote:
Infact the xovers will cut the power by 30% when they get to hot, maybe sedate had a diffrent xover

Yea I wasn't using a passive xover.  I was running my mid's straight.  Maybe I was being to harsh on the CDT's.  I think this guy should try them, especially after listing his listening preferences.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
jasondavis05 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
sedate wrote:

Yea I wasn't using a passive xover.  

Ahhh now I see why they burned up. Yes if you skip the xover and run 150 watts bridged JL power to them or any other 6" mid they will fry in short order. Sorry I over looked in your post where you said you ran them straight to the amp. Although the watts aren't what did the deed as I'm sure you know distortion of the bridged amp is more likely the reaper of the mids.

snhtown 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

heres a dumb question.......what is a passive x/o?   if i run the speakers from the amp, thoought the x/o, to the speakers feeding them 150 watts or so then i should be ok? 

sedate, the reason urs burnt up was because u did not use a x/o and ran them directly from the amp to the speakers?

so the x/o's kind of act as a protector to the speakers from frying????

wow im confusedcdts, focal, id? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  
jasondavis05 wrote:
sedate wrote:

Yea I wasn't using a passive xover.  

Ahhh now I see why they burned up. Yes if you skip the xover and run 150 watts bridged JL power to them or any other 6" mid they will fry in short order. Sorry I over looked in your post where you said you ran them straight to the amp. Although the watts aren't what did the deed as I'm sure you know distortion of the bridged amp is more likely the reaper of the mids.
Wrong answer... Distortion does NOT kill speakers, POWER kills speakers.
Here's my system:
Link one...
Link two...
All active, no "protection" devices between amplifier and speaker, no passive crossovers anywhere in the car.
Never blown a speaker... not a tweeter, even with 85 watts, not a mid, even with 120 watts (and that's a 4" mid, BTW). Over 200 watts available to the Adire 6.8 woofers in the doors... Haven't blown those, either.
Here's one recent argument regarding "underpowering" and how the damage actually occurs!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
jasondavis05 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:

If distortion is the uneven movement of the voice coil and cone then how could it not??  If the power is clean it would take the voice coil jumping over the poll or an insane amount of power to burn the coil much like a light bulb. With distortion in the way and enough power to have the coil touch the poll causes a short and that is why they burn up. If you have distortion in the power more power will only make it worse.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
jasondavis05 wrote:

haemphyst wrote:

If distortion is the uneven movement of the voice coil and cone then how could it not??  If the power is clean it would take the voice coil jumping over the poll or an insane amount of power to burn the coil much like a light bulb. With distortion in the way and enough power to have the coil touch the poll causes a short and that is why they burn up. If you have distortion in the power more power will only make it worse.

cdts, focal, id? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Again, POWER kills speakers, NOT DISTORTION. Pretend there is no such thing as distortion, anywhere on the planet, in any way, shape or form... If there is no such thing as distortion, it CANT blow a speaker, can it? Now that the imaginary monster distortion is out of the picture, what is left to blow speakers? That's right class, POWER. POWER blows speakers, NOT DISTORTION! jasondavis05, did you read any of those links I posted? I'll make it easy for you... Now, if you want to argue with THOSE guys, go ahead, but first read that link, thoroughly, and you'll understand what I am talking about.
(BTW, DYohn, there's you head banging aginst the wall smiley... See what you can do about adding that!)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic